Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Suggestions

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    The price is determined by what the helmet is made of (composite or carbon fiber), the weight, and how many luxuries are on it. Personally I have always bought Bell helmets but my most recent one I got a few yrs ago I was kind of disappointed with the quality of it. Come to find out they moved their operations to china! Explains everything haha. Next helmet I get will be black armor. Cheapest lightweight carbon helmet on the market and can come with all u need. Having seen the strength of carbon recently I think in my opinion the carbon helmets would hold up better in a big crash.

Just have to ask yourself what your head is worth??
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 03-01-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Stilo, worth every penny

I did hear the Stilo has good audio options as well. My El Cheapo ear buds are useless at full throttle. I figure the helmet is a one time use item of gear that I hope I won't need and that any one conforming to the specification is probably okay. The G Force equipment I have used has been of good quality.
    Last edited by dtanker65; 03-01-2017 at 07:59 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by JMR81 View Post
    Stilo, worth every penny
    Agreed
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

One thing I refuse to Cheap out on is safety equipment. The old saying goes "if you have $100.00 head put it in a $100.00 helmet". Its that one time you need it that will pay a dividend in the long run .Dale Junior is a perfect example, despite the best equipment he will still be affected for the rest of his life. To many others are depending on you, don't take that risk to save a few dollars. Just my $.02 cents. Personal experience, I was knocked off my bicycle by a soccer mom in an suv. I was wearing my helmet. I was out of work for 18mo. Every year I have to jump through a hoop with the FAA to receive my medical so I can continue to fly.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Love my Bell I got a couple years back.
    Try on differnt brands. They dont all fit the same.

I agree completely Tam. My training has been to get the best safety equipment possible for the driver, design the cockpit for safety and eliminate any lethal extrusions. Despite any chagrin I may feel when having a design deficiency pointed out on the car, I am always grateful for the feedback during the annual safety inspection.
    Last edited by dtanker65; 03-01-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JMR81 View Post
    One thing I refuse to Cheap out on is safety equipment. The old saying goes "if you have $100.00 head put it in a $100.00 helmet". Its that one time you need it that will pay a dividend in the long run .Dale Junior is a perfect example, despite the best equipment he will still be affected for the rest of his life. To many others are depending on you, don't take that risk to save a few dollars. Just my $.02 cents. Personal experience, I was knocked off my bicycle by a soccer mom in an suv. I was wearing my helmet. I was out of work for 18mo. Every year I have to jump through a hoop with the FAA to receive my medical so I can continue to fly.

I agree with the above statement if purchasing the most expensive helmet is really safer. Can anyone tell me there is a safety difference in a $200.00 helmet and a $3500.00 helmet? If so why don't we all spend $3500.00 for a Arai? Is there anyone that test all or some of the racing helmets where we could see what the higher dollar helmets do different than the low buck units do? Unless the people that say "if you have $100.00 head put it in a $100.00 helmet" are all buying the most expensive helmet they can buy they are still making a decision on what to purchase based on price. I'm going to see if I can find anything on the web about this.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I agree with the above statement if purchasing the most expensive helmet is really safer.

A more expensive helmet can certainly be safer... in the street motorcycle world or if you are looking for something for motorcross or ATV use. There are helmets available that meet different standards and you should choose the appropriate one.

In the closed car racing world, not really. All helmets have to meet Snell SA2010 or SA2015, or FIA 8859-2015, FIA 8860-2010, FIA 8858-2010 standards. These are tough standards to meet. In fact, there are arguments that the standards are too tough. More is not better in this realm. The Snell standard has the helmets tested at an impact energy that is very likely to cause a traumatic brain injury. Designing the helmet for such high impacts means the helmet isn't as good at protecting for smaller impacts that are more likely. The argument is that people are getting hurt by minor hits because the helmet is trying to protect against something that probably isn't survivable. I don't know as much about the FIA standards.

One aspect that can help with safety is helmet weight. A lighter helmet is going to put less load on your neck when you are getting thrashed around. This is less of an issue now that HANS devices are required.

Correct helmet fit is still important for comfort and safety.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    A more expensive helmet can certainly be safer... in the street motorcycle world or if you are looking for something for motorcross or ATV use. There are helmets available that meet different standards and you should choose the appropriate one.

In the closed car racing world, not really. All helmets have to meet Snell SA2010 or SA2015, or FIA 8859-2015, FIA 8860-2010, FIA 8858-2010 standards. These are tough standards to meet. In fact, there are arguments that the standards are too tough. More is not better in this realm. The Snell standard has the helmets tested at an impact energy that is very likely to cause a traumatic brain injury. Designing the helmet for such high impacts means the helmet isn't as good at protecting for smaller impacts that are more likely. The argument is that people are getting hurt by minor hits because the helmet is trying to protect against something that probably isn't survivable. I don't know as much about the FIA standards.

One aspect that can help with safety is helmet weight. A lighter helmet is going to put less load on your neck when you are getting thrashed around. This is less of an issue now that HANS devices are required.

Correct helmet fit is still important for comfort and safety.

Richard P.
    I agree with this... I bet there is little difference in overall safety between a $200 helmet and $3500 helmet, but the difference is in weight, and fit and comfort... and your personal level of comfort with such helmet.