Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T56 locked in 4th

Unhappy T56 locked in 4th

Got the 5.3 into Burned Orange (formerly Orange Crush). Had it on the dyno this morning, and it made 260/305 - so that's great!

What's not great is that while on the dyno the trans decided it liked 4th gear the very best, and refuses to use any of the other gears. Going to snatch it out over the next few days - planning on being at Cresson for Friday practice.

Anyone have suggestions on what parts I might need to order? Internet suggests it's the 3/4 keys or maybe the shift fork. Both seem to be common problems with the T56.

- Josh

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Suggest taking to a reputable builder instead of monkeying around with it yourself. (understand I used to own a transmission shop) In Houstion there used to be six speeds inc. with a guy named Honeycut but word awhile back on ls1tech was they may have stiffed several people. Search ls1tech for a good builder. There has to be some in Houston. There are several up here in DFW (Standard Transmission and Gear, Texas Drivetrain Performance) This is who several racers (Patterson) have used recently with excellent results-he has also built an AI car which you can see on their website so I would just call them. Tell them you are a racer and see what they can do to help you. Ship it to them and pick it up here or have someone pick it up to install at the track.
    http://www.dederichsmotorsports.com/

Nice dyno!
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    Got the 5.3 into Burned Orange (formerly Orange Crush). Had it on the dyno this morning, and it made 260/305 - so that's great!

What's not great is that while on the dyno the trans decided it liked 4th gear the very best, and refuses to use any of the other gears. Going to snatch it out over the next few days - planning on being at Cresson for Friday practice.

Anyone have suggestions on what parts I might need to order? Internet suggests it's the 3/4 keys or maybe the shift fork. Both seem to be common problems with the T56.

- Josh
    Is that the one we swapped LT/LS input shafts on at the Orange is Fast shop?

So far every T56 with shifting issues we've taken apart traced back to worn out
    blocker rings. (One of the early ones may have had a bent fork, I've slept since
    then and I'm old so memory is fuzzy on that.) When the blocker rings are worn
    out the gear select slider can over travel which lets the keys move too far which
    locks the trans in that gear. The 3/4 slider seems to be the most vulnerable to
    this wear. The other thing we (Scott, Sean, David) have struggled with is the
    main shaft preload. It isn't hard, just kind of fiddly. It is REALLY IMPORTANT
    to marinade the blocker rings in trans fluid before you put them in. Otherwise
    the clutch material on cone wears off really fast, or so we believe. David can tell
    you more than you want to know.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 39PitCrew View Post
    Is that the one we swapped LT/LS input shafts on at the Orange is Fast shop?
    No that was me! Still shifts great so far, no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    No that was me! Still shifts great so far, no issues.
    Haha, we did this one with the OIF guys as well - local T56 experts! I had this trans on track as MSR-H for a couple of sessions before the engine went. Not sure what happened, but the dyno tech somehow got it stuck in 4th on the dyno. I'll do some reading on these blocker rings. Don't have a solid forward plan yet.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mack's standards here in town has a great reputation. 713-738-1555
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    Haha, we did this one with the OIF guys as well - local T56 experts! I had this trans on track as MSR-H for a couple of sessions before the engine went. Not sure what happened, but the dyno tech somehow got it stuck in 4th on the dyno. I'll do some reading on these blocker rings. Don't have a solid forward plan yet.
    Will be interested to hear what the postmortem is on it.
    Did the 3/4 syncro have stamped or billet keys?
    We had one eat a set of billet keys before we figured out
    where the problem was.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

Quote Originally Posted by 39PitCrew View Post
    Will be interested to hear what the postmortem is on it.
    Did the 3/4 syncro have stamped or billet keys?
    We had one eat a set of billet keys before we figured out
    where the problem was.
    I don't remember what keys were in it. It had been professionally rebuilt after it had become locked in 4th last year at Cresson (go figure!). I think they used fancy parts to prevent that problem from happening again.

The only thing I distinctly remember from the last time it was open (@ OIF) was that the 1st gear synchro wasn't looking happy, but I decided to proceed at risk.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Update: got it apart today. The "dirty" way since one of the guide pins had the head already broken off. ALL the 1/2 keys were out of the slider assembly and the 3/4 keys that weren't broken came out when the slider came apart.

Looks like all stamped keys to me and right now I would tell you the stock aluminum 3/4 fork. Did not notice any bearing issues from a super quick look.

I think plan A is to cobble together something from spares Monday night so Josh can make an attempt at Cresson.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    What's your take on the billet keys? I have no idea what's inside the red dragon's box, but it was rebuilt before I got my dirty mitts on it.
    RM CMC Director