Thread: Mixed Group Racing - The Future of AI/SI/CMC/XX

Hybrid View

Bryan,

It sounds like the issue with the legend car you bring up being unsafe which is very different than just typical lap traffic/watching mirrors that I was referring to when I mentioned driver training. (does anybody have some video they can share with me?) If our Race Director dropped the ball on handling this I apologize. But in the terms of the NASA Texas hierarchy let me use an analogy: If you tried to return something at Home Depot and the cashier said no can do, I think 99% of us would ask to speak with a manager. NASA Texas is no different except instead of the store manager, you can approach the business owner and address it with them directly. I think our Race Directors are pretty top notch, but we're all human and deal with things slightly different. I'm happy to take any and all complaints, concerns, and questions that anybody feels a NASA Official might not be handling correctly during an event. It's an easy conversation; either I explain why something needs to be done a certain way or I address the issue properly. Happy customer and educated NASA Official, that's a good deal! I'm happy to chat it up with you guys about things like this, and I can even jump in and handle them as the Regional Director if the Rae Director is busy.

In my previous post about using picks I'm referring to using picks when it's lap traffic you trust, not a trouble making legend that possibly shouldn't be out there. I'd like to move forward with still addressing this. Does anybody have car # for the legend and/or some video so I can look into the matter deeper so this doesn't happen again?

I appreciate you reminding me of the article I did, still true every event!
    Will Faules
    Regional Director - NASA Texas

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    It was always hard to get a number but it was this one:

slowlegends.jpg

Blog Entries
    Pranav is correct. Should be #93. Just check with anyone in the small bore group on Friday's practice or check with the track management who ran practice. I know there were black flags involved.

It's also difficult to set up a pick as Will says when there is such a difference in lap time but not in terms of weight/power. To me either being way off pace or unaware a race is happening is a driver training issue. Though the difference in lap times brings another can of worms into the equation.

I still appreciate your new willingness to be involved. As mentioned I planned to follow up with our RD after the event as I wanted to give it the 24 hour rule I like to employ. I have no idea if our RD dropped the ball or how many others made a comment. I was pretty emphatic about it before qualifying based on Friday's practice. Though at what point or difference in lap time does it take to get black flagged or moved to DE? I'm guessing this could be a first event and things could hopefully get better quickly.

I recall a time at TWS where a driver was kicked out for the weekend based on Friday's test day. Now I can't remember if NASA was running the track day but I know NASA wasn't running the practice day and may have had no idea.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

The legend driver in question has been suspended from racing and is going to run in HPDE and/or get some private coaching to develop some race craft before returning to racing. I think he was fine with us at TWS last year or at least wasn't brought to my attention either way it's clear that he needs some work.

Sorry this affected anybody's weekend. I'm glad it got brought to my attention and handled. In the future, please don't hesitate to address this stuff with me at the track. I'd have been happy to get this gentleman moved into HPDE where he could have learned something from our top notch DE staff and the Thunder weekend would have been a little smoother.

Cheers fellas!
    Will Faules

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nasawill View Post
    The legend driver in question has been suspended from racing and is going to run in HPDE and/or get some private coaching to develop some race craft before returning to racing. I think he was fine with us at TWS last year or at least wasn't brought to my attention either way it's clear that he needs some work.
    Knowing we're all type A in some degree, it sucks a little to have to happen. Like somebody said, "self regulation" is useful in this hobby.

I'm hopeful that driver (i) gains the skills to return to W2W, and (ii) maybe even gets to demonstrate it in the combined group again.

Will, I do appreciate the balancing act of telling a customer they're not ready for the product they wanted to buy.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post

Will, I do appreciate the balancing act of telling a customer they're not ready for the product they wanted to buy.

It's my pleasure to assist.

PS How many posts do I need to remove my Rookie markings here on the forums?
    Will Faules

I think it's based on posting up an aicmc lifetime 10% NASA reg discount code :-D
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar

You are now "Junior"... Series subsidy can bump you up to "Guru" quickly... LOL
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...