Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AST dampers

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

AST dampers

Those of us that run AST shocks and struts have a big problem. As most of you know we tore up the right front of the car in R1 at Cresson. It broke the strut in half! Not in the shaft but in the thickest part of the body. I called Stuart at Maxcy and he said AST does not have a US distributor anymore. He is trying to get a price but AST said they have not made these units for so long they have to find the prints and get back to me with what it will cost to make just one strut. I'm guessing this will be at least a grand and I don't know what to do. I know Craig ran the JRI's that are in the Koni bodies but I don't see that on their web site. Anyone have an idea of a adjustable strut we can get for under the CMC dollar amount? I know Flying Bryan ran QA1's but I never had good luck with them on my old Lightning. They were not very robust.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    After getting burned by AST in a previous life, not surprised they don't have a US distributor any more.

Maybe talk to Vorshlag and see if they can set you up with a bilstein insert in a old housing, I guess Stuart can then service that moving forward.

I just started using a Camaro kit that is derived from the bilstein take-a-part shock kit, non adjustable, but it came way under the CMC limit. Guy is out of California and only does camaro stuff but maybe you can give him a ring:

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/Bilstein/

Camaro@UnbalancedEngineering.com

Blog Entries
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    I got that Bryan but I am told there is no US importer at this time. Also AST told Stuart that they have no stock and have not sold any of these in years.

JJ

I think they have a new US dist now, look at the 2017 AST contingency form for that info. Let me know if they can help.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    After getting burned by AST in a previous life, not surprised they don't have a US distributor any more.

Maybe talk to Vorshlag and see if they can set you up with a bilstein insert in a old housing, I guess Stuart can then service that moving forward.

I just started using a Camaro kit that is derived from the bilstein take-a-part shock kit, non adjustable, but it came way under the CMC limit. Guy is out of California and only does camaro stuff but maybe you can give him a ring:

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/Bilstein/

Camaro@UnbalancedEngineering.com
    That's what my car has. Just know that they're valved for some 1000#+ springs. I run 900 now and they seem alright, but I know dick all about shocks. I can preach theory, but cannot apply it. Those particular shocks wouldn't drop into a mac strut housing, but they are pretty slick. Threaded collar dropped right on a basic Bilstein race shock. Easily revalved by anybody.
    RM CMC Director

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    I think they have a new US dist now, look at the 2017 AST contingency form for that info. Let me know if they can help.
    I just e-mailed them. I never registered for the contingency program of I would have $350.00 from the Hallett win.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 03-29-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I have JRI inserts in Koni DA bodies. HVT did the first set, but since Brian is out of the Biz, I reached to Angelo at Anze Suspension in New York.

Angelo did Bob Han's shocks (Cheryl Patterson's brother) when he won several SCCA A-Sedan titles in the late 80's and early 90's in a Mustang.

Angelo was a great guy to work with.
    Work- (516) 671-3960
    Cell- (516) 578-5181
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Blog Entries
    I was just told that AST is discontinuing the 4100 series shocks and struts so they want to put me in a 5100 series. The price on the 5100 for a set of four is anywhere from $2100.00 to $3100.00 for a set of four.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 03-29-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    The distributor in Cali is still in business? They should know the CMC limit is $2,000 to see if they would do them for that-though you only need one shock. Well-you don't really need it when you almost set the record on a stock shock. How much are the JRI's installed in a set of Koni's?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24