Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AST dampers

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    The distributor in Cali is still in business? They should know the CMC limit is $2,000 to see if they would do them for that-though you only need one shock. Well-you don't really need it when you almost set the record on a stock shock. How much are the JRI's installed in a set of Koni's?
    I'm waiting on a price from the place in Cali. They are giving me info. Stuart can't get any info out of AST at all.

What really sucks is them discontinuing the 4100 series. That means I have to purchase two struts and I will be out around a grand even using the $350.00 contingency for Jay winning R3. I guess if they will not sell them for a grand per axle we can't even use them. Not sure AST really wants to support CMC at that price.

Boy this contact is costing way more than it should have. I assumed a new fender, bumper cover, and strut and I would be good to go. I'm thinking $seven or eight hundred bucks but this damn strut deal is going to cost me more than that by itself.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I'm waiting on a price from the place in Cali. They are giving me info. Stuart can't get any info out of AST at all.

What really sucks is them discontinuing the 4100 series. That means I have to purchase two struts and I will be out around a grand even using the $350.00 contingency for Jay winning R3. I guess if they will not sell them for a grand per axle we can't even use them. Not sure AST really wants to support CMC at that price.

Boy this contact is costing way more than it should have. I assumed a new fender, bumper cover, and strut and I would be good to go. I'm thinking $seven or eight hundred bucks but this damn strut deal is going to cost me more than that by itself.

JJ
    Maybe a set of autozone specials will serve you well based on MSRC?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Maybe a set of autozone specials will serve you well based on MSRC?

Maybe so. I have an old set of Koni SA's.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Interested to hear how this shakes out. I sent a set of Konis to Stuart at Maxcyspeed for a rebuild with JRZ inserts that was going to be very reasonably priced and fit within our budget rules, but it ended up not working. He's rebuilding my Konis and sending back but I'd like to get a nice SA monotubes under the car. I had AST 4100's on my E36 and they were great dampers for the money. I guess as of now for off the shelf packages it's DA/SA Konis or the non adjustable Bilstein monotubes. Our $2k budget seems to be a tight spot for most 'better' (which is relative) options.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Blog Entries
    Update.

The 4100 units we run are no longer available. Sean is trying to get me a set of fronts from a dealer that "thinks" he has a set. I have not found out yet what the cost of the 5100's will be. I'm not real happy to have to spend a grand for two struts when I only need one. I promise if I had thought this was going to be the case I would never have purchased AST's. For CMC we need a strut of shock that we can replace one at a time and will not be discontinued. What if we go to 5100's and they decide to discontinue them? My old Koni DA's are looking pretty damn good right now.

Jerry

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Update.

My old Koni DA's are looking pretty damn good right now.

Jerry
    I thought your Monroe looked pretty damn good at Cresson.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    In a previous life I ran Bilsteins, custom valved, from Maximum Motorsports. They work very well and are under the cost threshold. Face it, no one really knows which way to turn the knob anyway right?
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    In a previous life I ran Bilsteins, custom valved, from Maximum Motorsports. They work very well and are under the cost threshold. Face it, no one really knows which way to turn the knob anyway right?
    If it were not for Hallett and the repave I would agree with you. We have to make a huge shock adjustment to make the car not push at Hallett.

JJ

Just noticed this contingency which includes rebuilds. Pretty decent really:
    https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...gency_2017.pdf

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Lou Giggliotti used to tell us that adjustables just gave you more ways to be wrong.