Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wipers: Delete or Keep?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Knowing that, I'd still feel like I halfassed the job by putting it on a switch when there's a clean factory option one junkyard pull away. Actually, I think Barney still has what I need. I'm one of those sick individuals who actually enjoys wiring stuff up.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Knowing that, I'd still feel like I halfassed the job by putting it on a switch when there's a clean factory option one junkyard pull away. Actually, I think Barney still has what I need. I'm one of those sick individuals who actually enjoys wiring stuff up.
    If not let me know... we have a fire-ro and cam-bird on the driveway we're going to pull apart anyway.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Junior Member Rookie
    Dustin

On GM cars the easiest thing to do to wire the wipers is trace all the wires from the wiper motor back to the connector under the dash. This connector then goes to the steering column and up to the switch on the stalk. All the electronics for the wiper function are in the stalk switch. The delay, park and multiple speed functions are all there. The only thing you need to do to make it work is provide power to the yellow wire on on the connector that goes to the column. You will also need to ground the black wire. That is it nothing else is needed and the system will stand alone.
    I removed the stalk switch from my column and mounted it on the dash and just have it sticking out where the radio used to be. I have all the functions of the normal wiper setup.
    Bob
    Bob Denton
    CMC #67
    Great Lakes Region

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I got it that the overwhelping concensus is to wire them up and make them work, but do you 4th gen guys have issues with wipers floating at speed? I don't even have wiper arms or a switch right now, but I'm more inclined to hook up a factory stalk to keep intermittent ad well.
    No issues, factory setup, stalk, no deflectors.

I can attest that at about 5300rpm in 5th the 4th gen OE wiper motor doesn't have enough power to overcome the wind, so the wiper glides (fast) to the vertical position and then sort of flutters there. Below that speed I've never had a problem.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    I can attest that at about 5300rpm in 5th the 4th gen OE wiper motor doesn't have enough power to overcome the wind, so the wiper glides (fast) to the vertical position and then sort of flutters there. Below that speed I've never had a problem.
    What rear end? I too lack a speedometer.
    RM CMC Director

Al Fernandez