Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Life

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    While torquing up the clutch to install it, the engine dropped from the hoist and bent the front of the crank.
    Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Started racing in 2006.
    Engine #1 lasted 5 1/2 years before snapping the crank in 2011.
    Engine #2 lasted 2 1/2 years before snapping the crank in 2013.
    Had a temp engine in for the start of 2014.
    Engine #3 has lasted 2 1/2 years and is still going strong. (fingers crossed)
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Don't have an odometer in the car... or a speedo.... or a tach...

'07-'10
    Started in 2007 in HPDE's and autocrosses to shakedown a 180k+ mile ex-cop car TPI engine (new valve springs). Down on horsepower (209hp) but got me on track. Ran it until end of 2010 and it was still running when pulled to step up to CMC2.

'11-'12
    For the start of 2011, 101k+ mile LT1 installed (again new valve springs). Threw a rod at end of 2012 (R3 at last event of the season at NOLA ending my 111 race start streak), I believe due to running lean because of to failing fuel pump. Shame the CEL couldn't be tuned at that time.

Took 2013 off. Rebuilt a spare LT1 at Vilas Motor Works in B/CS.

'14-current
    2014 to 2nd event 2016. No oil pressure coming off track. Mistakenly I spec'd a high volume oil pump in rebuild which stripped the teeth off the oil pump driveshaft. Back to the machine shop, inspected, heads never came off, new cam and drive, new bearings and ready for the next event.
    Remainder of 2016 no major issues asides some ignition related gremlins.
    Taking 2017 off except for COTA.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I don't know miles.. but my first LT1 was out of a street driven car with 158,000 miles on it and it lasted for 4 years. Second engine was a unknown used engine I picked up from Bryan Leinart.. it last three years.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kevin and I have had really bad luck with the 4.6. I don't know what issues he had but I was cheap and did not put in hardened oil pump gears in my first rebuild and a catching second instead of fourth it turned a million rpms and broke the oil pump gears. Second and third engine rebuilds I was trying to run 10.75:1 compression ratio to try and keep up with the 350's with only 281 cubic inches. I guess I got something besides 93 because two times I killed the engine with bad fuel. This engine is 9.5:1 to make sure I can run 91 if need be. It has cost me a ton of power. Even the high compression engines did not make the torque numbers (I could make 260 to 266 hp) but the current engine only made 247/290. At MSRC you could not see it but at TWS it was obvious. If I was starting from scratch I would go with a 302. I never broke anything on the first car running a 302.

JJ

Blog Entries
    I bought the black LS1 #24 with a bad engine but I didn't know it at the time-busted ringlands likely from running an aggressive tune for T2. Rebuild lasted one event due to how the engine builder put the rods/pistons together. They replaced all the rods/pistons and re-sleeved one piston. I hooked up the oil cooler backwards at 2 am in the dark and ran it enough to pull it out for new bearings. Six years later it was still making perfect numbers and I got it running after the wreck to make sure it didn't have any bad noises so it's ready to keep going. Builder told me to pull it for bearings whenever the oil pressure started to drop but it never has and the Blackstone Analysis is fine.

Current LS1 in the white Camaro I don't know how old it is but I don't think Wayne had any engine issues in the years that he owned it so I would say it has at least more than 7 years of life on it. Blackstone Analysis was great that I did this year.

Issues have been breaking the plastic power steering pulley-now billet- and some alternator issues from running reman alternators with a weak battery. Change plugs, oil/filter, check pushrods and replace bent ones, clean intake due to ingesting oil, clean the MAF religiously, new air/fuel filter every year. Otherwise I don't think I have ever replaced a sensor or valve springs. Have never broken anything related to clutch, trans, or rearend other than bending an axle at Hallett.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

My lt1 was built circa 2004. At some point I swapped heads with a set of take offs with new springs. The trick is never washing the engine compartment.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    My lt1 was built circa 2004. At some point I swapped heads with a set of take offs with new springs. The trick is never washing the engine compartment.
    Or, evidently, the rest of the car. When I borrowed it in 2010, I had to degrease everything on Al's car. I left the engine compartment alone due to Opti-fear..
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

My original AI race motor made 7 years of abuse which included 2 Nationals events. I had one head gasket failure which was my own mistake but I actually spoke with the guy who bought it this past weekend and it has seen 4000 miles of mostly drag racing duty in New Mexico and now Alaska. He is upgrading the heads and came and going to spray a 150 shot on it. Motor was built in late 2005. Wasn't cheap but if you amortize that over time...It was money spent only once.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Kevin and I have had really bad luck with the 4.6. I don't know what issues he had but I was cheap and did not put in hardened oil pump gears in my first rebuild and a catching second instead of fourth it turned a million rpms and broke the oil pump gears. Second and third engine rebuilds I was trying to run 10.75:1 compression ratio to try and keep up with the 350's with only 281 cubic inches. I guess I got something besides 93 because two times I killed the engine with bad fuel. This engine is 9.5:1 to make sure I can run 91 if need be. It has cost me a ton of power. Even the high compression engines did not make the torque numbers (I could make 260 to 266 hp) but the current engine only made 247/290. At MSRC you could not see it but at TWS it was obvious. If I was starting from scratch I would go with a 302. I never broke anything on the first car running a 302.

JJ
    And this is why I firmly believe we owe the 4.6s either a decent set of cams (like the 5.0 gets to run) or the ability to dyno tune. Those plenums and crap that have come up before just aren't enough.
    RM CMC Director