Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Safety

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar

Fire Safety

All,
    The following link is something I’ve posted in the past as a FYI regarding the dangers of fire.

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2013/02/f1-fire/

As you may or may not know, One of our TX American Iron competetitors, Jim Strader, was involved in a fire during Saturday morning qualifying at COTA this past weekend (27-May-17).

https://youtu.be/nmo7-B4Z8g4

Jim’s car had an oil cooler line fitting fail (Aeroquip push-lock) which oiled down the complete underside of the car. The fire ignited on the exhaust and the heat from the undercar air feeding the fire was enough to breach the FuelSafe FIA FT-3 rated fuel cell.

Thankfully the fire systems, yes, two of them, were activated to suppress the fire both in and under the car before the car came to a stop (driver’s left) on the uphill front straight leading into turn 1.

Unfortunately, even with the car in 4th gear, the grade was extensive enough for the car to start rolling down/across the track as Jim was egressing the car. He was hung up in the door and was drug 70 feet across the track before finally falling free in the middle of the track as his car continued to roll off course (driver’s right). This all happened in less than 10 seconds…

The COTA safety personnel was thankfully positioned almost directly across the track from where Jim originally stopped the car and they were rolling before race control could even radio for their assistance. Their safety vehicle flanked both Jim and his car to provide a barrier to the other racers while Jim was working himself free of the car.

When you watch the video, look at the intensity of the flames prior to Jim hitting the fire suppression system… It’s amazing how easily the fire vaporizes CCR legal “fire tape” which were covering only a few holes in the tub. Even the riveted aluminum patches showed signs of fire intrusion.
    Jim’s personal safety gear held up very well, but the right side of his suit was singed, cool suit lines melted where it went into his suit, right glove was singed.

So, a few questions you need to ask yourself..
    1. Can you egress your car quickly enough without being hung on any part of the car in an emergency situation?
    2. When was the last time you practiced an emergency egress?
    3. Do you race with the bare minimum CCR safety equipment? Should you add a head sock and fire retardant underwear to your already legal 3 layer suit? Are your gloves multi-layer or just the CCR minimum?
    4. Do you have a CCR minimum 2.5lb hand-held fire extinguisher, or a fire suppression system? (Just a note, if you think you could do ANY good with a hand-held extinguisher in this type of a situation, then you are kidding yourself)
    5. Do you have any open holes in the firewall or tub of your racecar? Are the holes covered with aluminum foil tape, aluminum patch panels ???

A good suggestion that has been made is to use a fire retardant adhesive to seal the riveted sheet metal patch panels.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rutland-1...-64C/202218155

Here are a few pics of the damage to Jim's car.

**Ballast holes that were covered with aluminum foil tape. The tape vaporized**

**Holes sealed with dynamat type material on both sides (under car and inside car) did not breach)**

**Holes with riveted aluminum panel still had fire breach from underneath. Suggestion would be to seal the patch with a fire resistant “chimney” sealer**

**Small pin holes with aluminum foil tape vaporized and shot flames into the cockpit**

Last edited by marshall_mosty; 05-31-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    What happened Marshall?
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I try to remember to do some "hot" evacuations at races - i.e. come to the paddock strapped in, net up, etc. and practice getting out quickly. Need to add "put car in gear" to that list.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Driver said car was in gear. The hill I think is just that steep.

Oil line failed, oil under car caught fire.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    Driver said car was in gear.
    Fair enough. Nothing else to do then but get out.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He could have knocked it out of gear getting out. What I could not believe was that the fire came through every hole in the car like a blowtorch. He said even the holes he had taped over with the aluminum foil tape burned right through ( I have several places like that). The places he had sheet metal riveted over holes or openings fire came out between the metal patch and the floor of the car between the rivets.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    I'm replacing a number of hole patches (also aluminum tape) prior to Hallett (ballast holes, shock canister holes, etc.), and adding a cover over the factory shift boot and resealing. I'm evaluating a second fire bottle system for installation this summer. Right now I only have 2 nozzles on one bottle (one at me from the rear view mirror area, and one in the engine bay). I'm adding a nozzle under the dash pointed at my legs / wedding vegetables, and a one through the rear bulk head under the rear of the car. I'll likely add an additional nozzle in the engine bay also.

After 15 years of the same drivers suit, I'll be getting a new one. I'm sure the fire protection capability of it has been compromised from years of laundering.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    I'm replacing a number of hole patches (also aluminum tape) prior to Hallett (ballast holes, shock canister holes, etc.), and adding a cover over the factory shift boot and resealing. I'm evaluating a second fire bottle system for installation this summer. Right now I only have 2 nozzles on one bottle (one at me from the rear view mirror area, and one in the engine bay). I'm adding a nozzle under the dash pointed at my legs / wedding vegetables, and a one through the rear bulk head under the rear of the car. I'll likely add an additional nozzle in the engine bay also.

After 15 years of the same drivers suit, I'll be getting a new one. I'm sure the fire protection capability of it has been compromised from years of laundering.
    I have lots of work to seal all the holes in the 55. I'm thinking .032" aluminum patches taped on with the aluminum foil tape plus rivets if needed. Let me know if you guys need some small pieces of aluminum for this purpose. I can get sheets of 5052 for $1.35 per lb.

I could not believe how light-weight BL suit was. It is a Sparco X-Light. I was wanting to get the new Sparco Victory RS4 (new material single layer HOCOTEX) but BL's X-Light weights almost nothing. Not sure what to get now.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I have lots of work to seal all the holes in the 55. I'm thinking .032" aluminum patches taped on with the aluminum foil tape plus rivets if needed. Let me know if you guys need some small pieces of aluminum for this purpose. I can get sheets of 5052 for $1.35 per lb.
    Anybody know of a generally fire retardant, mostly inexpensive adhesive? Having something to seal up the gaps would help too.

Now we need a Rookie Day, a Development Day, and a Car Fire Safety Day.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Anybody know of a generally fire retardant, mostly inexpensive adhesive? Having something to seal up the gaps would help too.

Now we need a Rookie Day, a Development Day, and a Car Fire Safety Day.
    They told us that the dynamat held up to the fire fyi.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net