Thread: Fire Safety

Hybrid View

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Driver said car was in gear. The hill I think is just that steep.

Oil line failed, oil under car caught fire.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    Driver said car was in gear.
    Fair enough. Nothing else to do then but get out.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He could have knocked it out of gear getting out. What I could not believe was that the fire came through every hole in the car like a blowtorch. He said even the holes he had taped over with the aluminum foil tape burned right through ( I have several places like that). The places he had sheet metal riveted over holes or openings fire came out between the metal patch and the floor of the car between the rivets.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    I'm replacing a number of hole patches (also aluminum tape) prior to Hallett (ballast holes, shock canister holes, etc.), and adding a cover over the factory shift boot and resealing. I'm evaluating a second fire bottle system for installation this summer. Right now I only have 2 nozzles on one bottle (one at me from the rear view mirror area, and one in the engine bay). I'm adding a nozzle under the dash pointed at my legs / wedding vegetables, and a one through the rear bulk head under the rear of the car. I'll likely add an additional nozzle in the engine bay also.

After 15 years of the same drivers suit, I'll be getting a new one. I'm sure the fire protection capability of it has been compromised from years of laundering.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    I'm replacing a number of hole patches (also aluminum tape) prior to Hallett (ballast holes, shock canister holes, etc.), and adding a cover over the factory shift boot and resealing. I'm evaluating a second fire bottle system for installation this summer. Right now I only have 2 nozzles on one bottle (one at me from the rear view mirror area, and one in the engine bay). I'm adding a nozzle under the dash pointed at my legs / wedding vegetables, and a one through the rear bulk head under the rear of the car. I'll likely add an additional nozzle in the engine bay also.

After 15 years of the same drivers suit, I'll be getting a new one. I'm sure the fire protection capability of it has been compromised from years of laundering.
    I have lots of work to seal all the holes in the 55. I'm thinking .032" aluminum patches taped on with the aluminum foil tape plus rivets if needed. Let me know if you guys need some small pieces of aluminum for this purpose. I can get sheets of 5052 for $1.35 per lb.

I could not believe how light-weight BL suit was. It is a Sparco X-Light. I was wanting to get the new Sparco Victory RS4 (new material single layer HOCOTEX) but BL's X-Light weights almost nothing. Not sure what to get now.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I have lots of work to seal all the holes in the 55. I'm thinking .032" aluminum patches taped on with the aluminum foil tape plus rivets if needed. Let me know if you guys need some small pieces of aluminum for this purpose. I can get sheets of 5052 for $1.35 per lb.
    Anybody know of a generally fire retardant, mostly inexpensive adhesive? Having something to seal up the gaps would help too.

Now we need a Rookie Day, a Development Day, and a Car Fire Safety Day.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Anybody know of a generally fire retardant, mostly inexpensive adhesive? Having something to seal up the gaps would help too.

They told us that the dynamat held up to the fire fyi.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post

Wonder if either of these would work under a riveted plate

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rutland-1...-64C/202218155
    or maybe
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rutland-3...96-6/202218157
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler