Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallett Grubbage / Paddock Crawl

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar

Hallett Grubbage / Paddock Crawl

*UPDATE 2*
    Team OIF well on the way to helping make another successful Hallett grub. We'll get there Thursday evening so we can chat everybody up about Saturday dinner. Brisket needs to go on around noon on Friday. Current Saturday night plan is brisket, chicken, and sausage. Midnight Ribs(tm) planned to be 12 racks - I'm sure we can make it work. There may be a need for some "other" heating/oven facilities if you are so inclined to offer. I expect we're making a Sam's/Costco run Thursday night rather than haul up drinks, and probably an ice run sometime Friday.

If you have any questions or comments, just speak up and we'll all make this thing extra awesome.

*UPDATE 1*
    Current plan. Sean talked to Adrian and we'll give it a go for Saturday dinner crawl. We appreciate all the compliments - we cook what we like, glad you guys like it, and have a blast doing it.

Yes, we'll have 3 smokers and right now the issue may be Friday night dinner but with 3 I think we can swing it. Yes it will be busy but we'll make it work. We think NASA has the meat and some incidentals covered.

We should have in the neighborhood of 45lbs of brisket. Current plan is to have them done and resting around lunch so we could actually have ribs at dinner too to keep the barbarians at bay. Or sausage. Or roast chicken.

I figure we'll carve up brisket for us and set up some on a front table for The Wanderers.

Saturday Dinner/Crawl
    OIF - 2 smokers / Rub 2.0(tm) / pellets / half-trays / foil / table(s) ...
    Mosty - 1 smoker / Mosty-ffalo Chcken Dip
    Wooten - 3 briskets - check.
    Patterson - has offered some ribs to pay TTW with (don't buy yet)
    Randy - famous AI/CMC Texas beans
    Red Shift - margaritas, duh.
    CaseySS - potato salad / bread / Tool Breaker 50 State Brownies(tm) / grilled veggies
    Boudreaux - bring that gal-darn margarita machine
    Leinart - green chili cream corn / nanner pudding
    Martin(s) - Oh Yeah Cheesy Potatoes / bowls / plates / etc.
    ???? - cream corn / green beans / bread / cake
    ???? - plates / bowls / paper towels / plastic ware
    ???? - drinks / water / tea / lemonade / pitchers

Midnight Ribs(tm)

The legend returns. At this point we'll be able to do 12 racks with 3 or so already spoken for as ransom payment... If you have a preference let us know. We did the "usual" and some sweeter ones at TWS. Last year we did some in a dry style with a beer moisturizer.

More to come. WOO HOO! It's Hallett!

*Original Note*
    Alright the time is upon us and with a twist.

THE Wooten has offered some brisket(s) which, of course, we are glad to cook.

Will has asked if we would be a stop on the NASA food tour. Sean and I have kicked it around and are cool as long as the group is. Here are some thoughts.

Friday - many will come in for Friday practice or arrive midday. We have talked about roasting some chickens for dinner, maybe come up with something for a side or two.

Saturday - we think the plan is two briskets for dinner, done a little before noon and resting quietly. Then perhaps some ribs, and maybe some sausages. Midnight Ribs(tm) will make the return as along as we think we have hungry folks to feed. If we cook up 36-40ish lbs of brisket we should have enough to go around, especially with some ribs and/or sausage and/or chicken.

At this point we'd have both smokers cooking full time so would need some additional oven support perhaps for sides. And some Mosty better bring that buffalo chicken dip thing...

What do you guys think? Don't mind helping out overall as long as we continue our fine traditions of too much Saturday night.

Questions? Comments? Requests?
    Last edited by Fbody383; 06-19-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    I'll be there with Randy's beans, but I think we should leave it as it is. The crowd is getting larger by the year. And besides where else are we going to go. The best food and cool people are at Dave & Sean's.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Right on Dave. Wouldn't be a proper Hallett weekend without some brisket, midnight ribs, and too much Saturday night, as you so eloquently put it.
    The kiddo's summer schedule has changed vs. the last couple years so Mindy and I will be there this time! Been too long and very much looking forward to it.

I can pledge oven support, a few sides, and a hot grill as needed. Let me know if I can contribute to the meat supply or coordinate on anything specific.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

So i just need to know if you want two or three briskets...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rleng1 View Post
    I'll be there with Randy's beans, but I think we should leave it as it is. The crowd is getting larger by the year. And besides where else are we going to go. The best food and cool people are at Dave & Sean's.
    Last year I paid but did not eat with you guys. I really never figured the BBQ was all that good. Boy was I ever wrong! I had a small piece of brisket at TWS and it was damn good. As a guy that lives near Austin, Taylor and Lexington where the best BBQ in the world is sold I have become a BBQ snob. Boy was I wrong (a recurring theme) as David and Sean have this figured out. I don't have a dog in the fight (I do plan to pay and eat with you guys this year) but I think Randy is right about keeping it AICMC. You could get overrun if everyone at the track shows up with a plate.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Hey guys, appreciate all the compliments. Thank you, it's our pleasure.

Wooten - 3 briskets please.

We'll be fine with the barbarians at the gate. We'll put the cars on the road to have more table room under the raceport and make it work. We'll have a table at the front to put stuff on for the wanderers.

See the updated first post. And thanks to the CMC11 for bringing/loaning a smoker to the cause. And Jander for offering up a standby.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    The famous Ai/CMC Texas beans may have a Rocky Mtn flare. must show iD to indulge. Not responsible for being paranoid or sudden urge for cheetios.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

3 Briskets...copy.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Dave - I reckon some potato salad, Mindy's badass bread, a batch of brownie's (minus Randy's Rocky Mtn flare), and mebbe some grilled calabacita squash or other veggies. Whatever looks particularly good that day at HEB.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Wife gets back in town tonight so I'll review with her as I will certainly contribute. I'm thinking a green chile cream corn dish but need to figure out how to cook/heat. I should have nanner pudding but wonder if it will last till sat night.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24