Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LT1 motor with Canton pan

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Let's chat if you want, but my suggestion would be to save the $ on spec carb parts, just run it as is until you are ready for the 5.3 swap.
    ^Agreed.

Based on my (somewhat limited) experience, I would say if you have an LT1 run it as long as you can and then do a 5.3 swap. I would not suggesting doing a fresh LT1 swap at this point. The LS base is so much easier to work with, diagnose issues long term, and the internet knowledge base is uuuuuge.

Once LT1s start having inexplicable issues, you end up throwing optis at it every weekend and wasting your money on entry fees. It gets old when you're in the double digits for swapping optis.

- Josh

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Yep, LT1s only belong in engine bays that already had an LT1 at this point. 5.3 is the way to go.

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Yep, LT1s only belong in engine bays that already had an LT1 at this point. 5.3 is the way to go.
    Thanks everyone for your input. ^I think this summed it up best^

I am not looking forward to the ls swap money wise. That's almost what I paid for the car. As soon as the cobra is gone I can get started on all the leaks on the 305. Cars are not made to sit for 6 years.

Thanks again guys.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by centerville View Post
    I am curious as this is less than the spec carb parts for my 305. Any advantage to do this over the spec carb? I am guessing I would need a new ecu for this. Thoughts?
    Check with Gary as he converted his 3rd gen to an LT1. I would go with the 5.3 though.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    Yeah I would keep an eye out.

For the 5.3 the only real pain points are rebuilding the motor if necessary, the harness, front end accessories, and oil pan/pump/pickup/oil plumbing if needed. I'm under the impression that truck accessories work better for the 3rd gen than the camaro accessories; if that is the case you will save a ton of money as you can get plenty of complete pull outs with accessories for cheap.

If you're able to find a clean motor with a known history all you should need are upgraded valve springs/locks/retainers. If you can pull the heads and give them a quick valve job and head prep, then go for better lifters too.
    Last edited by Pranav; 01-25-2018 at 12:54 PM.