Thread: CMC legal coil question

Threaded View

CMC legal coil question

Hey guys, I'm posting my question here cause it will get more views/opinions and solutions vs the national forum

Anyway, our CMC legal coil is in need of being replaced (Fox Mustang). We have a MSD Ignition Blaster TFI (part number 8227) that came with the car many years ago. We were told (I think) that it isnt a legal coil so we removed it.

We were looking at purchasing a Accel Supercoil Ignition Coil to match our soon to be purchased cap and rotor in preparation for west coast Nationals. Accel states "These are direct plug replacements for OEM coils."

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/a...=ignition+coil

Since they fall within exactly the same resistance test specs as the OEM coil, and only a "longevity" advantage due to the "premium materials" used in the construction. Accel claims there is a higher voltage spark that lends to quicker starts and better combustion spark at high RPM that leads to better performance, but I also ran across a voltage vs. current discussion that may indicate a higher voltage isn't really an advantage like a higher current or energy is, so a higher voltage may just be advertising hogwash to sell more product.

We'll likely be running ST4 at Nationals since there are no CMC cars currently signed up (except us) for CMC. I'm sure the coil doesnt matter in ST4 but I'd like whatever I get to be legal for CMC.
    Last edited by BADVENM; 09-07-2017 at 04:21 PM.