Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CMC legal coil question

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    i had accel coil packs on my car for the first couple weekends after we built it and they actually made the car run leaner. Plus i found they were illegal so i sold em on ebay and bought new oem ones. never looked back or had a problem after that. It's the typical aftermarket hype. "Run our coils for more power". It's a crock!
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Hands-down the most reliable ignition set up I've ever used is OEM, every aftermarket ignition system I've dealt with has been problematic
    For many of the cars in the series, you can't actually get "OEM" equipment anymore. They haven't made the stuff in a decade or more. When you get it in a box that implies OEM, you pay more but it's the same junk that everyone else is selling...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Dave/Scott my truck exhibited the very symptoms you describe. Guess what happens when you go WOT? You get WOT fueling. Try new O2 sensors first or better yet, datalog the ones you have and see what you find. Mine threw no codes but would peg full lean. When I'd floor it, the WOT fueling would add enough to make the engine act normal.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Hands-down the most reliable ignition set up I've ever used is OEM, every aftermarket ignition system I've dealt with has been problematic
    This -- every parts store distributor and TFI module I've put in my car has caused some sort of dumb issue. Old OEM stuff seems > new parts store junk.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    For many of the cars in the series, you can't actually get "OEM" equipment anymore. They haven't made the stuff in a decade or more. When you get it in a box that implies OEM, you pay more but it's the same junk that everyone else is selling...

Richard P.
    I feel you, I’ve done extensive research trying to find good parts, ironically enough I have the stock 150,000 mile ignition module on my car because the Motorcraft replacement was junk. That being said I was more referring to aftermarket performance ignition products when it comes to problematic components
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Dave/Scott my truck exhibited the very symptoms you describe. Guess what happens when you go WOT? You get WOT fueling. Try new O2 sensors first or better yet, datalog the ones you have and see what you find. Mine threw no codes but would peg full lean. When I'd floor it, the WOT fueling would add enough to make the engine act normal.
    I believe at wide-open throttle the eec-iv computer is fueling from the predefined open loop tables, not sure the o2 sensors will help much in this case.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

I feel you, I’ve done extensive research trying to find good parts, ironically enough I have the stock 150,000 mile ignition module on my car because the Motorcraft replacement was junk. That being said I was more referring to aftermarket performance ignition products when it comes to problematic components

I believe at wide-open throttle the eec-iv computer is fueling from the predefined open loop tables, not sure the o2 sensors will help much in this case.
    You're forgetting that WOT fueling is richer than cruise or tip in fueling.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    You're forgetting that WOT fueling is richer than cruise or tip in fueling.
    My bad for not reading the whole post, I didn't realize it was only at tip in
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

For the past many years we've had an occasional issue with part throttle hesitation. Last weekend at Hastings I had an instance where the car was fine for the warmup lap in qualifying, as soon as I took the green for my first qualifying lap the car simply fell on its face at 1/4 throttle and remained that way with the foot to the floor on gas pedal. When I backed off to 1/4 throttle the car would run. When I pulled into our paddock area the car had an odd idle to it. I remembered our Nationals race at Miller a few years ago when the car died in the middle of the track at standing start. When we got off the track Scott wiggled some plug and/or coil wires and the car fired up. Figured I'd try that and it worked. So we're trying to track down what appears to be a coil or wire or cap problem. I pulled a spark plug yesterday and it looked incredibly well for being in the car several years.

Quote Originally Posted by BADVENM View Post
    For the past many years we've had an occasional issue with part throttle hesitation. Last weekend at Hastings I had an instance where the car was fine for the warmup lap in qualifying, as soon as I took the green for my first qualifying lap the car simply fell on its face at 1/4 throttle and remained that way with the foot to the floor on gas pedal. When I backed off to 1/4 throttle the car would run. When I pulled into our paddock area the car had an odd idle to it. I remembered our Nationals race at Miller a few years ago when the car died in the middle of the track at standing start. When we got off the track Scott wiggled some plug and/or coil wires and the car fired up. Figured I'd try that and it worked. So we're trying to track down what appears to be a coil or wire or cap problem. I pulled a spark plug yesterday and it looked incredibly well for being in the car several years.
    Perry had an issue a couple years back where the coil's pigtail was making a shitty/intermittent connection. I had driveability issues on my basically CMC spec 5.0 that I had in my Crown Vic. As soon as I switched over to the GT40P heads I had a lean tip in which I band aided by cranking fuel pressure from 39 to 43. Granted you are running all Cobra stuff so likely not an issue for you, but thought I'd throw that out there. The rules kinda suck for a guy with an E cam, GT40 top end, and a stock tune.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    You could look at every single part we run on our cars under a microscope and say how some rules make sense and some don't. Bottom line, why would you want to run an aftermarket part? Specifically a coil, distributor cap, or rotor.

If it is for a performance advantage, then that is why the rule is written that way. If it is for reliability, then submit an RCR.
    It is a context question and it should be a driver/mechanic preference not a rule preference.

If I want the ability to run an Accel coil, or an MSD optispark that yields no performance advantage, why can't I? Make the notation on the dyno sheet and risk re-dyno if something changes.

Reliability can also be described in terms of dollars - i.e. small block Ford cranks. One invisible intent of the rules is to NOT have to pull the motor every couple of races to check the crank.

If OEM is so good for reliability, let's roll the brake rule back.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!