Thread: Help

Question Help

Sooo I realize this is a long shot. I swapped the engine in my car threw in an LT1 from a 95 Camaro and everything is hooked up, and I swapped all of the accessories from the old engine that I know work(optic spark included). Double and triple checked the cables. Varified I have fuel (unknown fuel pressure, no gauge), air should not be an issue. Spark is the only thing that I can think of now. It cranks and spits a little but does not fire past a stroke or two after I get off the starter button. Almost sounds like a timing issue but not much I can really do in that department. I did reuse the spark plugs, save for one that I broke and replaced with the same type. I used the fuel injectors that were on the engine, so if nothing else I will swap the ones from the old engine onto it.

Kinda stuck at this point on where to go from here. Again, I realize group diagnosis online rarely works but... Thoughts?

If all else fails I will just throw my motorcycle leathers on grab a skateboard and hold on to the back of someone's car.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I'm willing to bet money the fuel injectors on your "new" engine are just clogged up. Soak the air filter with with starting fluid and see if it will start/idle.

If it runs with the soaked filter, you most likely are dealing with clogged fuel injectors that have sat around too long; you have the "good" ones off your old/broken motor that you can swap on if that's the case.

Ran into this exact same issue the very first time I tried to start up my first LT1; injectors had sat around for years and were clogged up; had to have them cleaned by an injector shop before I could get it to even start up.
    Last edited by Pranav; 09-19-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    You can also loan-a-tool a fuel pressure gauge from autozone to make sure you actually have fuel pressure, doubt that's the issue but better to check.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I've had very little success with reusing the plugs on donor engines. Makes no damn sense to me but it remains a thing.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidroam View Post
    Almost sounds like a timing issue but not much I can really do in that department.
    If it quacks like a duck...
    I swapped out Opti's at the track once chasing an issue. Cranked over, sounded like a timing issue. Pulled it back off to put the original back on, and I'm 98% sure I had previously misaligned the pin.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Along with the optispark, I had endless trouble with ICMs on LT1s. I was experiencing the same symptoms, swapped the ICM and it would fire on the first crank. Never found the root cause of the issue, but after about 30 minutes the ICM would eat it. I'm pretty sure the car had noise on the system that would perpetually kill ICMs, I could see it on the Oscope but could never find the source.

An easy way to check is to pull one of the spark plug wires, pull the boot back and hold it to a ground. Crank the car and observe spark - or not. If you have spark, it's probably injectors like Pranav is saying.

- Josh

Blog Entries
    Have you swapped the fuel injectors yet?

95% sure at this point this is your issue.

If your donor motor sat around for even a little while those things will plug up all the way and give you the "attempted" start situation I got on my very first LT1 start.

Pull the injectors off your broken motor and put them on before you waste any time trying anything else.

Success!!! Pranav was dead on. Put the injectors from my original engine in and it fired right up. Loaded it and inHouaton now. Found some other issues though. Two oil leaks and the clutch does not fully disengage. I will be working those track side tomorrow.