Thread: Power Steering pump

Power Steering pump

For the F-Body guys. Quick and simple. Who do you send your power steering pumps to in order to get them reworked. Aka tuned down.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    PSC motorsports, contact their service department.

Tell them you want to copy Glenn Landrum's or my own setup (they'll remember me, been using them for years) in regards to de-flowing for high RPM use.

Keep in mind if you are sending them a bad pump, chances are they can't rebuild it. Your best bet is to direct ship them a junkyard pull off ebay.

Sounds good. You think running the pump the last race without fluid burnt it up. Turns out it was just a seal on the hard line running out of the pump.

Also, I am assuming de-flowing it would be closer to running without power steering? I am pondering bringing it down pretty far if that is the way it works.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I've never driven on a stock pump before, but there's assist and decent feel in the wheel with my deflowed pumps. Definitely not as bad as a dead pump though.

Yeah if you ran the pump dry it's definitely burnt up. You can try send it in and see what they can do with it but they will likely ask you send in another one; probably best to go ahead and send it, tell them it was burnt up, but also ship them a working junkyard pump off eBay and have them start off that one.

They have been resorting to having to piece together one pump from multiple pumps in the past because these LT1/saginaw type 1 pumps are hard to find, which is why they can't really rebuild a burnt up pump any more without another donor/pump in hand; no more new hard parts left to buy.

Also one thing to consider is converting the outlet to 6an permanently, and running a 6an line with adapter fitting to your rack. Much more reliable connection and one less thing to fail.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidroam View Post
    Also, I am assuming de-flowing it would be closer to running without power steering? I am pondering bringing it down pretty far if that is the way it works.
    That's not how it works. Power assist levels are set inside the rack. It takes a physically different part with a different stiffness inside the rack to change that. Not enough fluid/pressure to the rack just starves it when you are turning quickly. You get very inconsistent results going that way.

Richard P.