Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what would you do?

what would you do?

I've got a 2015 GT Mustang that burns oil. Its got 42k and has been burning 1q/1,000miles since somewhere around 20k miles. Since its got 42k miles, it is still under warranty. According to Ford, they'd need to validate it does in fact burn oil by doing an oil change, applying seals in the right places, and then measuring for a few thousand miles. They haven't said once the burn rate is proven if they'd replace the engine, repair in place, or simply tell me that is within acceptable values have a nice day.

SO...

Would you have the dealer perform the test and see what Ford warranty folks offer or ditch the car before there's permanent record of its situation?
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Slap a bowtie on it, then it'll be GTG. Is 1qt/1000mi Ford's threshold? I know I've heard of that being the case on GM's AFM V8s. Does your car have any of that bullshit? I just unplugged the MAP sensor on the brake booster for the wife's Envoy to disable AFM and it quit chugging oil overnight. Hell we dragged a camper through the mountains for 4 days and it may have burned half a quart. The correct fix is to disable it in the tune and mechanically eliminate it. If it's something like that on your Mustang, you could just wipe it out in the tune. How much longer is that warranty good for? Tunes are sometimes detectable and warranty killers.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    How much boost, 20psi? hah

I dont think it has AFM.

I would set expectations before they do their thing, in writing find the tolerance, make it clear that if it exceeds that then you will get a new motor etc before they dig into it.

My GTI used 1/8qt after 5000miles running 20+ psi of boost making 150hp/L
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    Absolutely fix it under warranty.
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    My old 5.4 and 4.6 modular Ford motors would burn 1qt/1000 miles. But that was after about 120,000 miles. I'd be pissed if anything with that kind of mileage had that level of oil burn rate. It's probably due to your open exhaust.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Blog Entries
    Do they apply a tamper proof seal to the dipstick?

If not, go along with it and suck an extra quart or two out through the dipstick down the street from the dealer right before the first check up.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to..._content=33226

If they do apply a seal to the dipstick, well you're the series director; just replace it with the same seal you use on our CMC cars.

Bam new engine.

I don't think dealerships bother with rebuilding engines in-store any more.
    Last edited by Pranav; 10-18-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    If they do put a seal on it, take the sucker to the track and put 1000 miles on it. I'm sure you'd burn a quart there.
    RM CMC Director

Get rid of the PCV system and just vent to atmosphere. My coyote drank oil even though a .020" orifice in the PCV system. went to a regular breather like the 1960's and ZERO oil usage.
    Ah, fugg it.

lol you guys are funny
    No way of knowing at this point if they would fix anything or just call it "within tolerance". If it's the pcv I should see oil in the intake by removing the throttle body or using a scope right?
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    yep. just pull throttle body and shine a flashlight in there.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman