Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 schedule

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    I'm fairly sure that weekend will cost more than the recent Tx region only event, which is a bummer
    Well that would be disappointing for it to be more whether for the regional or the national. Would much rather run Hallett or Cresson twice. But I do like having a single Nat. Championship and cool that it isn't a 24 hour tow. At least for CMC there is the opportunity to actually have a class. Wish it was middle of October but guess that might be F1 time.

What about all of us showing up with SCCA to run in A Sedan at Hallett or Cresson? The event I looked at Cresson this year I think was about the same entry fee and track time however it was only 3 races. No clue what tire or rules they have as it's like the A sedan rule book is hidden from the intraweb. Or we could have an outlaw class on the 200 treadwear Falkens that Spec Corvette is running.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Note worth pointing out is that the SCCA runoffs at Indy had over 1,000 entries this year.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    MSRC does not have another weekend available for us. We've tried multiple times in recent years to make that happen.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Well that would be disappointing for it to be more whether for the regional or the national. Would much rather run Hallett or Cresson twice. But I do like having a single Nat. Championship and cool that it isn't a 24 hour tow. At least for CMC there is the opportunity to actually have a class. Wish it was middle of October but guess that might be F1 time.

What about all of us showing up with SCCA to run in A Sedan at Hallett or Cresson? The event I looked at Cresson this year I think was about the same entry fee and track time however it was only 3 races. No clue what tire or rules they have as it's like the A sedan rule book is hidden from the intraweb. Or we could have an outlaw class on the 200 treadwear Falkens that Spec Corvette is running.
    I'm actually buying a set of the RT615K's for track days -- will report back on how they do.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    I'm actually buying a set of the RT615K's for track days -- will report back on how they do.
    I ran them years and years ago and found them to be greasy. Granted my pressures were too high without me knowing, but I replaced them with some Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 which were all the rage at the time and those tires were MUCH more consistent. I'll admit I'd figured out tire pressures by then, but the difference was simply mind blowing. Knowing what I know now, there was more than tire pressures playing into that. Having said all that, the K is supposed to have much better manners and its size offerings have had me willing to give them another shot. Daniel have you ever run a street tire on a road course before? I'm curious to hear your impressions if you have some frame of reference still for the difference between our R comps and a sticky street tire.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The whole nationals being at COTA is really cool but having two race weekends there is very costly. Some said well at least we don't have as many race weekends in 2018 so we have more money to afford COTA. I'm all about having fun. I would rather have two weekends than one no matter what tracks we are talking about.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    The whole nationals being at COTA is really cool but having two race weekends there is very costly. Some said well at least we don't have as many race weekends in 2018 so we have more money to afford COTA. I'm all about having fun. I would rather have two weekends than one no matter what tracks we are talking about.

JJ
    While you (all, not just Jerry) have a great point bear this in mind when deciding what to run next year: a lot of you guys crossed COTA off of your bucket list earlier this year, but a lot of other people who haven't will be making the trek south next year.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    a lot of you guys crossed COTA off of your bucket list earlier this year, but a lot of other people who haven't will be making the trek south next year.
    It will be interesting to see how many sign up for either COTA event. I'm guessing there will be several that sign up for the regional as practice for the national event.

I ran COTA a few years back. It was great and I'm glad I ponied up the absurd money to do it. I've had several opportunities to drive it since then. Every time, I confirm it's still crossed off on my bucket list and pass. No need to blow the budget again...

Richard P.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    i would bet there will be a waiting list for entrants at nats next yr. I'm sure there will be a record number for a lot of classes in nasa. The cost should be less with the number of people I would hope?!
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I ran them years and years ago and found them to be greasy. Granted my pressures were too high without me knowing, but I replaced them with some Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 which were all the rage at the time and those tires were MUCH more consistent. I'll admit I'd figured out tire pressures by then, but the difference was simply mind blowing. Knowing what I know now, there was more than tire pressures playing into that. Having said all that, the K is supposed to have much better manners and its size offerings have had me willing to give them another shot. Daniel have you ever run a street tire on a road course before? I'm curious to hear your impressions if you have some frame of reference still for the difference between our R comps and a sticky street tire.
    We ran the 200TW Dunlop Direzzas on our WRL BMW E30 car and I always liked them. They were noisy at the limit and broke away smoothly and were easy to control past the limit. We always fought chunking on the outside edges of the front tires as we'd run full tread but otherwise no complaints. I don't remember them being susceptible to getting greasy but we also kept a laptime pace that didn't abuse the car to try and finish.

On my E36 M3 I ran the sticky Hankook tire of the time and they were fantastic all the way to the cords. Lots of grip on a square setup and never had issues in 20min DE sessions with greasing.

I have found the RR's to be more similar to a street tire than a race tire except for the short life in terms of heat cycles. The RR's seem to like quite a bit of slip angle and are pretty controlable in a slide. Since my street tire experience is on a different chassis with an independent rear suspension I'll see how the RT615K's compare in a few weeks with the RR's. My experience on "real" race tires was in a Formula SAE car on 10" Hoosier LC0's which behaved like a race tire. They liked some slip angle for maximum grip but go a bit past that optimum and it felt like grip went to 0... really fun and rewarding to get right. I used to have a funny video in that car where I was booking around an AX course and then went full 360. It was a good illustration of running out of talent and consequently tire grip.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34