Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Snoozing?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    I've crossed the scales at less than 2900 in my car a couple of times. It's trivial for me to ballast up to be legal. It's not realistic for me to "tweak" my engine to get to the power needed to be competitive at 2900. I would need to spend some serious money to make my car appreciably lighter or have enough power.

Marshall didn't say it, but I would guess AJ Hartman going all carbon fiber on his turbo 6 car was starting to scare some people on a direction the class could go.

I get the idea that a lighter car will be cheaper to run because of less tire wear. Realistically, with the current tires heat cycling out so bad, I think that ship has sailed.

Rule changes often hurt/help different groups of people. I don't really see how this weight change will add any racers but I see how it could drop a few.

If a non-Ford replacement engine was legal, I would have done that a while ago and raced a bit more. Tire costs scare me more these days. I've chosen to have fun running my car in non-racing events. I finished up my car last night and put it on the trailer for this weekend. The weather should be great...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Well CMC gets another nod for not having a ruleset that changes much and doesn't have the issue of new cars entering the class anymore.

Good info. on SM to keep me in CMC. Too bad Spec E46 doesn't limit the amount people can spend to keep it well under $15 to $20k for a new build like CMC.
    Not sure why you keep wanting to leave us Bryan. Just throw a 5.3 in that thing and call it a day.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Not sure why you keep wanting to leave us Bryan. Just throw a 5.3 in that thing and call it a day.
    You don't understand Pranav, Bryan lives in Plano and slumming in a Chevy is kinda of low rent in that part of the world. Saying I race a BMW sounds better.

Just kidding BL. I have no idea why you like the E46 idea so much? Maybe reliability.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I’m 100% okay with gentlemen agreements for power/weight on a regional level with a semi-blind eye to our true class minimum.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    I’m 100% okay with gentlemen agreements for power/weight on a regional level with a semi-blind eye to our true class minimum.
    I would be okay with this, I have no desire to attend nationals anyway. As long as everybody else is in agreement.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Even with AJ's ecoboost setup he still got out torqued by the bigger V8 cars and didnt win when his boost level was legal.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    You don't understand Pranav, Bryan lives in Plano and slumming in a Chevy is kinda of low rent in that part of the world. Saying I race a BMW sounds better.

Just kidding BL. I have no idea why you like the E46 idea so much? Maybe reliability.

JJ
    Don't need to swap a 5.3 for my 5.7.

I like the looks of the E46 better than an F-body but I like the lightweight, decent power, better handling, with spec parts potential. Just think they got it wrong allowing the max build cost to be so high. So I'll look for a clean daily driver E46 that is a candidate as a backup plan. Yes Jerry is a little right since I can jog to the local Bimmer dealership but that isn't any reason. However it's ability to run competitively with SCCA, BMW club, WRL, etc. is attractive. I have no clue about reliability but I don't think anything will be as reliable as what I have experienced with my two LS camaro's.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Good info. on SM to keep me in CMC. Too bad Spec E46 doesn't limit the amount people can spend to keep it well under $15 to $20k for a new build like CMC.
    I'm going to have 20k in the SM, I had over 30k in the CMC Mustang.
    The shocks for SM are $100 each, no MM parts required for the car, etc.
    Pro built SM trans is $1200, I had 2700 in my Tremec on the mustang.
    No BBK for SM, good calipers are $500 for the set of 4.

Motor is pricy on SM but everything else is very reasonable.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Even with AJ's ecoboost setup he still got out torqued by the bigger V8 cars and didnt win when his boost level was legal.
    Yeah, but a 3800# car compared to a 2700# car on the same 275/18 tire is just pure physics. Has NOTHING to do with heat cycles. The lighter car will destroy the bigger one in the corners and under braking especially with suspension and aero being wide open in AI. Frankly, the S197 is the car at the major disadvantage if they are going to let the S550 in. In all honesty, the fox chassis cars SHOULD get the lower minimum weights to keep them interested in the series as viable competitive cars. They trying to maintain parity across 3.5 generations of mustangs, 2 generations of camaros AND GTO's and Challengers (granted rare) purely all based on HP/WT when all use the same 275 wide control tire is amateur at best. Given some of the "OTHER than a mustang" chassis require so much to develop, why WOULD anyone develop them if they have no path to have an advantage? IF AI rules committee truly wanted to grow the series, they would get creative and offer some bones to get the other chassis interested but it seems they are just content to be lazy and be "spec mustang" along the lines of whatever Ford Racing is going to push down the line or phase out for $.60 on the dollar. It's the reason why SMART racers will go buy a C5 Vette for $9k and build a WAY faster car or go buy a tube frame car for $20k because building a Pony car for road racing for $70-130k is just moronic.....and yeah, I learned that the hard way.

Something you haven't taken into consideration about AJ's car is he has shit shocks/struts and typically is running on the oldest tires on the planet. If he would/could spend like the rest of of the field and have even better stuff under the car, I think his car would start to shine. I REALLY wish he would have bought my Motons when I had them up for sale.
    Ah, fugg it.