Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snoozing?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Eddie,
    Sorry for not getting back with you. I've been traveling a bunch for work...
    The general consensus was we wanted to narrow the gap between the actual weights of current vs new cars. The S550's are coming across the scales in full race trim between 3600-3800lbs. The majority didn't want a 1,000 swing of car weight in a specific class.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Well, that sucks. So, no clearly stated unfair advantage was being fixed, they're just trying to appease racers that were upset that some of us don't burn a set of tires in a weekend. The S550s are also putting down 400+ hp with less than $1000 worth of bolt-ons and tuning and require minimal suspension work to be competitive. The fact that they weight 3800lbs is the price they chose to pay.

I put a lot of work into trimming my car down to 2747lbs because less power usually equals a more reliable motor (and less tire wear). You all know how long it took me to finally meet my hp/weight and now I have to jump through this hoop.

I have a long, expensive road to fix my car, and I'm sorry to say it just got a little longer if I have to build it to the new rules.

I know NASA doesn't car about losing one driver so I'm sure this will never be addressed, but this may just keep me from returning to AI. I'm already on a limited income after I got hurt, but making the series even more expensive is definitely not encouraging me to spend it getting back on track.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    The new chassis/model of a car will always eventually rule every class one way or another and the older cars either get phased out by default or people give in to the newer cars. Been that way since I can't remember when.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    The new chassis/model of a car will always eventually rule every class one way or another and the older cars either get phased out by default or people give in to the newer cars. Been that way since I can't remember when.

But a 80's Fox can still win in CMC. Over 30 years old.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    But how many times have you seen a rule implemented with the sole purpose of crippling the older cars?
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

look at spec miata. perfect example. anything prior to 1999 will not win the big races. An 80's fox may win the regional stuff but when is the last time a fox won the BIG race? I should have worded it in the sense that the guys who travel and go to all the national events will not build older cars they build the new stuff. So NASA caters to those big spenders as does scca so they can grow and attract new people. I don't always agree with it either just the way it's always been.
    ― Paul Newman

That still doesn't answer my question.

Also. Attracting new people is fine, but doing it by implementing rules that are only intended to appease them while alienating your existing members seems counterproductive.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

i'm in agreement with you not arguing. Just saying what I have witnessed over the last 15yrs.
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Eddie,
    Let me see what we can do. I honestly didn't think you were already below 2900.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    The 3rd gen AI guy in the last nasa speed news was in the 2,700's, too. I say in Texas let Rock run at the lightweight as long as he is in line with the power to weight ratio-but then he might want to race in the Nats race at Cota. I know AI has catered to the newer mustangs for awhile but feel bad for you Rock.

Well CMC gets another nod for not having a ruleset that changes much and doesn't have the issue of new cars entering the class anymore.

Good info. on SM to keep me in CMC. Too bad Spec E46 doesn't limit the amount people can spend to keep it well under $15 to $20k for a new build like CMC.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24