Thread: Chipped valve lock and weird rocker wear pattern

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

Chipped valve lock and weird rocker wear pattern

Going thru and replacing my valve springs to test/check them, found one of my valve locks was chipped, and the rocker on it is wearing off to the side.

The top of the valve stem appears to be ok.

Thoughts?

The rockers are original to the motor that was in a Buick for 100k miles before I bought it and had it rebuilt. The rocker shaft trunions were replaced upgraded with a kit from comp cams as they are a known failure point on these rockers.

Using comp cam beehive springs, steel machined locks and steel retainers.

New retainers and locks are on their way but not sure what if anything I should do about the rocker. In my hand comparing it to the other it looks and feels fine outside of the wear pattern.

Pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PbFe8aD8T8F3IaCL2

I'm inclined to replace the rocker too and pulling/rechecking the wear pattern after a day at the track.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure you already had the upgraded trunions from GM. It was the early GM trunions that had all the issues from what I understand and I've seen instances of the Comp Cams kit failing on the Corvette forum as well.
    RM CMC Director

Blog Entries
    Ah, well they're long gone and replaced with comp cams haha.

Talked to the engine builder and the only thing I could think of is a possible deformity or casting burr on the barrel that seats the rocket shaft/pivot causing it to sit at an angle; having my dad run his fingers in them to see while I'm away.

Blog Entries
    Mystery solved probably, my dad says there is a slight burr here that sticks above the surface like I suspected. Probably enough to cock the rocker at an angle when bolted down.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/griXrwqtFzaD5YTG2

This would explain the funky wear mark on a 100k mile original rocker. Thanks GM!

Replacing the rocker/trunion, locks and retainer on that one valve to be safe.
    Last edited by Pranav; 11-27-2017 at 12:29 PM.