Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.3 Rebuild Cost

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Also ask Sean nicely and he may have a lead on a super low mileage aluminum 5.3. Nicely.

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    If you can find a lower mileage 5.3 with a known history, simply throwing on beehive springs and hardened/machined valve locks/retainers and a baffled camaro oil pan should be enough.

I bought a 120k mile long block and had it gone through with $3k in parts/labor by a good engine builder. I simply rehoned and skipped the main align bore, good coated bearings, re used pistons, roadrace lifters and coated bearings.

I have not been kind to this motor all year and yet I have perfectly clean oil filters after every 3 day race weekend.

If you get a steel block 5.3, realize that you may or may have rusty coolant passages if it has sat in a yard. You will also have to drill a hole in one of the front mounting bosses for the alternator bracket. The aluminum block requires a dipstick home to be drilled (because front sump pan mounted dipstick in truck apps). It is also lighter and runs cooler if you are ok running at 3300lbs.

If you can swing the cost/effort to get a 5.3, it is well worth it.

It's just a tough, durable package that is well within it's stride when taking it up to "only" 6k, especially if you spend the money on good valve springs. Neutral balance crank, 6 bolts mains, and an ignition system that's solid as hell.

The only real issue with the 5.3/ls is managing crankcase pressure and oil sucking into the intake due to the deep skirt block and super shallow valve covers with tiny breather hoses, but I've pretty much fixed that with huge breather hoses .
    Thanks for all the detailed info.

Hopefully tomorrow or Thursday I can get the deal done on the car. Then make car trackable again. Then we will see how patient I can be.

Thanks everyone!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I'd just rering it in my garage if it really needed rebuilt. Crank polish, new rings/bearings and done. I have a pull and pay aluminum 5.3 on the stand with 170k and my plan A is just run it.
    RM CMC Director