Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.3 Rebuild Cost

Senior Member Rookie

5.3 Rebuild Cost

So I have been looking around and $2500 seems to be the number. It's not bad just making sure I am in the ball park. I am not a mechanic so some of this will have to be subbed out.

The gen 3 I am looking at still has the 305tpi so it will need the 5.3 to be competitive. Just trying to get a ballpark number on this. Thanks.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by centerville View Post
    So I have been looking around and $2500 seems to be the number. It's not bad just making sure I am in the ball park. I am not a mechanic so some of this will have to be subbed out.

The gen 3 I am looking at still has the 305tpi so it will need the 5.3 to be competitive. Just trying to get a ballpark number on this. Thanks.
    How hard is it to get the 305 to required power levels?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Easy. Within CMC rules... good luck.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by centerville View Post

A well used stock 5.3 still makes plenty of power. No real need to rebuild it. A 100K mile stock motor that has never been opened up is less likely to blow up than a fresh rebuild...

Richard P.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    assuming the person who used to own that 100k mile motor was actually maintaining it properly during its life and nothing got jolted inside when that said street car was wrecked.

If you have a GOOD engine builder that actually knows what he’s doing then your motor will last a long time as long as you treat it nicely. I had my motor built in 2013 and it makes pretty close to the same numbers now after 4yrs of thrashing on it.
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 12-19-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Rookie
    No clue yet. I can only digest so much info a day and still do my job.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    A well used stock 5.3 still makes plenty of power. No real need to rebuild it. A 100K mile stock motor that has never been opened up is less likely to blow up than a fresh rebuild...

I will somewhat agree with this statement. But without knowing how it was maintained its all just a gamble. In all my searching last night lowest mileage was 111k then jumped to 135k, both of those a rebuild numbers to me.

Richard P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    assuming the person who used to own that 100k mile motor was actually maintaining it properly during its life and nothing got jolted inside when that said street car was wrecked.

If you have a GOOD engine builder that actually knows what he’s doing then your motor will last a long time as long as you treat it nicely. I had my motor built in 2013 and it makes pretty close to the same numbers now after 4yrs of thrashing on it.
    ^this^

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    A 305 with a carb gets there nicely. IIRC, Bob Denton's 3rd gen Firebird from the Great Lakes region was around 260hp/305tq.
    I'm not a carb guy but I'd at least look into that before shelling out the money for a 5.3, new trans, wiring, etc. Would at least be worth the comparison.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I'll get Sean to jump in if he doesn't see this. If you put it in a third gen the truck accessory setup is the cheap way to go, but needs additional rules review. For some crazy reasons.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Blog Entries
    If you can find a lower mileage 5.3 with a known history, simply throwing on beehive springs and hardened/machined valve locks/retainers and a baffled camaro oil pan should be enough.

I bought a 120k mile long block and had it gone through with $3k in parts/labor by a good engine builder. I simply rehoned and skipped the main align bore, good coated bearings, re used pistons, roadrace lifters and coated bearings.

I have not been kind to this motor all year and yet I have perfectly clean oil filters after every 3 day race weekend.

If you get a steel block 5.3, realize that you may or may have rusty coolant passages if it has sat in a yard. You will also have to drill a hole in one of the front mounting bosses for the alternator bracket. The aluminum block requires a dipstick home to be drilled (because front sump pan mounted dipstick in truck apps). It is also lighter and runs cooler if you are ok running at 3300lbs.

If you can swing the cost/effort to get a 5.3, it is well worth it.

It's just a tough, durable package that is well within it's stride when taking it up to "only" 6k, especially if you spend the money on good valve springs. Neutral balance crank, 6 bolts mains, and an ignition system that's solid as hell.

The only real issue with the 5.3/ls is managing crankcase pressure and oil sucking into the intake due to the deep skirt block and super shallow valve covers with tiny breather hoses, but I've pretty much fixed that with huge breather hoses .
    Last edited by Pranav; 12-19-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    ...and yeah there is an official requirement that you run Camaro accessories, but it fits just fine and actually better with truck accessories in a 3rd gen.

Doing a 5.3 swap into a 3rd gen is much cheaper than it is into an lt1 4th gen, ask me how I know.