Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Annual Tech Items

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    5. Fire bottle needs to be charged with the handle in close proximity so you can pull it while fully belted in the driver’s seat. If you are using AFFF and the mfg has a recertification date identified on your bottle, send it in or you will need a hand extinguisher.

I just moved my handheld "backup" fire bottle to the passenger main hoop area. I can technically reach it with my right hand when still belted in, but it's a stretch.

I also have an AFFF system with a pull handle with easy reach of my being fully belted in. Am I OK if my handheld fire bottle is further away?
    Last edited by Pranav; 01-23-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    5. Fire bottle needs to be charged with the handle in close proximity so you can pull it while fully belted in the driver’s seat. If you are using AFFF and the mfg has a recertification date identified on your bottle, send it in or you will need a hand extinguisher.

I just moved my handheld "backup" fire bottle to the passenger main hoop area. I can technically reach it with my right hand when still belted in, but it's a stretch.

I also have an AFFF system with a pull handle with easy reach of my being fully belted in. Am I OK if my handheld fire bottle is further away?

As long you have one system that meets the CCR requirements within reach you are good to go. All the "extra" extinguishers are not inspected for compliance (but will be as a cursory inspection to ensure they are secured properly).
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Note for 2018 - the CMC rules for points have been changed to reflect the CCR points structure. No pole points, 1st = 100, 2nd = 90, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    Note for 2018 - the CMC rules for points have been changed to reflect the CCR points structure. No pole points, 1st = 100, 2nd = 90, etc.
    Wow that is massive! Thanks for pointing that out.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    The CCR also seems to have changed. No qualifying points for any of our classes. Everyone who takes the green is now considered a finisher for points. 20% drops called out specifically in the CMC rules. Per the CCR, there are no drops for AI unless a drop system is announced by the region. There is a "default" drop method called out in the CCR (10%) which is only in force if it is called out by the region. Or the region can do whatever they want. Is our region doing drops, default or other???

I still don't like the default allowances for dropping or not dropping DQ's, but nobody else seems to care. I like qualifying points. Sure does make the points spreadsheet harder, though.

I think the whole thing is a bit of a mess. A bit less of a mess than before, but still a bit messy...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    AI will continue with 5 drops for the season. The logic is that allows for one floating weekend for a "life happens" situation where you can't (or don't want to) make a race weekend and provides further provisions for one mechanical issue, or poor finishing position.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    AI will continue with 5 drops for the season. The logic is that allows for one floating weekend for a "life happens" situation where you can't (or don't want to) make a race weekend and provides further provisions for one mechanical issue, or poor finishing position.
    any idea why this didn't carry to CMC?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Discussion on a couple points?
    Helmets: SA2000 is the minimum requirement for helmets in the CCR and neither 2018 AI or CMC rules express anything otherwise. So any homologated SA/FIA helmet from 2000 on is OK.
    With the changes in helmet standards since 2005 (and particularly 2015) related to pre-fitted terminals for head/neck and other topics, it seems the CCR should be updated to reflect current certs? Too much has changed since 2000 IMO.

Nets: Safety nets are not called out with any expiration but our window nets did/do have a tag indicating expiration. Right side did not expire and I don't see any tag on any of ours.

Fire systems: if you have not done a discharge test or at least refilled in 5 years, you might want to do so.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFirePony View Post
    Discussion on a couple points?
    Helmets: SA2000 is the minimum requirement for helmets in the CCR and neither 2018 AI or CMC rules express anything otherwise. So any homologated SA/FIA helmet from 2000 on is OK.
    With the changes in helmet standards since 2005 (and particularly 2015) related to pre-fitted terminals for head/neck and other topics, it seems the CCR should be updated to reflect current certs? Too much has changed since 2000 IMO.

Nets: Safety nets are not called out with any expiration but our window nets did/do have a tag indicating expiration. Right side did not expire and I don't see any tag on any of ours.

Fire systems: if you have not done a discharge test or at least refilled in 5 years, you might want to do so.
    Here is a link to the current CCR's. Below is the specific info for helmets and window nets.
    https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...282/2018.2.pdf

15.10 Windows / Window Nets
    Vehicles shall be operated with both side glass windows fully open.
    Window nets shall be used on the driver’s side window. The net shall be installed with a quick release
    mechanism at the top front mount so as to allow the window net to fall toward the floor of the vehicle when
    released. Fasteners must be metal and must be attached to the roll cage, and not the door or body. Drilling
    holes in the roll cage to mount the window net is strictly prohibited unless properly “bushed.” Plastic ties or
    Bungee (type) cords prohibited. The window net must be in very good condition and carry an SFI label
    indicating a date showing that the net is less than five (5) years old.

15.17.3 Helmet
    All drivers are required to wear a properly fitted and secured helmet while on track. Helmets must be approved
    by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell SA2010, EA2016, or newer*. Ratings other than that of “SA” (Special
    Application), (e.g. M2005, M2010, or CMR2007), are not acceptable. *Alternatively, helmets with an FIA
    certification of FIA 8859-2015, FIA 8860-2010, or FIA 8858-2010 or newer are acceptable. It is strongly
    recommended that any helmet sustaining any substantial impact be replaced.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Thanks for correcting me Michael. I did a search on the CCR and apparently wound up in the HPDE section and did not check further in the comp section. Sorry for the Fake News folks.