Thread: 2018 Annual Tech Items

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar

2018 Annual Tech Items

Annual Items
    - NASA Membership
    - Competition License
    - Medical (Only if it's "your" year)..

Items that expire
    Window Nets – 5 years. Good until the end of the month at the 5 year mark from what was punched at the OEM

Belts – 2 years for SFI. Good until the end of the month at the 2 year mark from what was punched at the OEM. Remember to send in your belts for inspection and a re-web after a significant crash.

Belts – 5 years for FIA. Good until the 31-Dec of the year indicated on the belt tag. Remember to send in your belts for inspection and a re-web after a significant crash.

Helmets – 10 year “life”. SA2010, SA2015, FIA 8859-2015, FIA 8860-2010, or FIA 8858-2010 or newer are acceptable. Remember to send in your helmet for inspection after a significant crash where you think it might have contacted the rollcage (above and beyond typical “bumps”).

Other Items
    SFI 38.1 (Head and Neck Restraint) - If your unit requires recertification, make sure you take care of that. Same goes for inspection after a crash (see above).

Suit, Underwear, Socks, Shoes, Gloves - Keep these in good working order. If you get any holes, either have them repaired with Kevlar thread (suits, gloves, balaclava), or a fire retardant glue (shoes). When in doubt, replace. Remember to launder your suit according to the tag on the inside of the suit. Some suits can go thru the normal laundry (lower end type), but the “top tier” suits are dry clean only. Plus, you don’t want to stink like an old high school locker room, right??

Here is a good reason for making sure your fire protection gear is "enough"...
    http://www.motorsportretro.com/2013/02/f1-fire/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmo7-B4Z8g4

Car Items that will be reviewed by annual tech.
    This isn’t an all inclusive list, but just what I’ve caught folks on in the past.
    1. Rollbar padding - NO pool noodle stuff. This was discussed at naseum over 6 years ago. No gimmies. Anywhere your flailing body (hands, feet, head) can contact needs to be covered. Err on the side of caution here guys. An option is to cover the rigid padding with pool noodle type.
    2. Hot terminals on kill switches, batteries need to be covered. Radiator hose, plastic caps, silicone, etc can be used.
    3. Holes in the firewall need to be plugged. In a pinch, use aluminum tape, but an aluminum or steel patch riveted around the hole is preferred.
    4. All fluids in the passenger compartment (except cool suits and drink bottles) need to be metallic line or a braided steel line. Accusumps, fuel lines, brake line fall in this category.
    5. Fire bottle needs to be charged with the handle in close proximity so you can pull it while fully belted in the driver’s seat. If you are using AFFF and the mfg has a recertification date identified on your bottle, send it in or you will need a hand extinguisher.
    6. Fuel Cell - If you have one, I need to see the paperwork PRIOR to you getting your sticker. I won’t physically inspect the bladder to ensure it matches the paperwork. Just don’t forget it “at the shop”… That won’t fly. Fire is bad and I take it VERY seriously. No tolerance on this one either. (See web link above)
    7. Seat - FIA seats are fine without a back brace if they are under 5 years old. You need to ensure the FIA tag and mfg date are visible. Otherwise, you need a seat back brace. A note on the seatback brace. The idea is for that brace to spread the load in an impact, no impale you thru the spine. A larger plate attaching to the seat itself is preferred using pan head bolts.
    8. Halo seat or right side net - Make sure that you have one or the other. To my knowledge, the right side net does NOT expire. The one I have doesn’t have a date on it.
    9.Engine Compartment stuff
    a. Battery secured in a battery box (marine type preferred. However, the battery needs to be attached THRU the box and attached to the chassis.
    b. Hood pins… We need to be compliant on this one this year…
    10. Tow Hook – This one won’t keep you off track, but if you are dumb enough to not have them, don’t get pissed when the EV’s rip your suspension apart hooking to whatever they can find…
    11. Driveshaft loop - Make sure you have one. If you have a welded in x-pipe, or torque arm brace, you are okay.

First time inspection that need a log book are $20.
    Annual inspections that just need a sticker are $10.

Please fill-out one of the annual tech forms BEFORE getting to the track. Use the "race inspector" form as your guide as that's what I will be using to tech the car. Find all the issues at home when it's easier and cheaper to resolve. Scroll to the bottom of the page for our two forms.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/forms
    Last edited by marshall_mosty; 01-23-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    3. Holes in the firewall need to be plugged. In a pinch, use aluminum tape, but an aluminum or steel patch riveted around the hole is preferred.

Any holes or firewall holes?

From a possible Nationals level inspection, do we have plans as a group to review? I've told Al I now think I have an inadvertent subframe connector issue to correct. If I'm leaning toward spending a small fortune in the Fall I don't want to be guessing at tech issues.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Thanks for this excellent post!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post

Any holes or firewall holes?

From a possible Nationals level inspection, do we have plans as a group to review? I've told Al I now think I have an inadvertent subframe connector issue to correct. If I'm leaning toward spending a small fortune in the Fall I don't want to be guessing at tech issues.
    Dave,
    I'll ask Hank for clarification at the event. I'm looking for things bigger than a sheetmetal screw. We all saw Jim Strader's fire video (and pics) from COTA. Small holes can also be areas for fire to come thru. Worst case go crazy with a tube of the fire retardant "fireplace caulking" on the small holes and I personally wouldn't see any issues with it.
    Marshall Mosty

More on the fire safety aspect.

As you may or may not know, One of our TX American Iron competetitors, Jim Strader, was involved in a fire during Saturday morning qualifying at COTA this past weekend (27-May-17).

https://youtu.be/nmo7-B4Z8g4

Jim’s car had an oil cooler line fitting fail (Aeroquip push-lock) which oiled down the complete underside of the car. The fire ignited on the exhaust and the heat from the undercar air feeding the fire was enough to breach the FuelSafe FIA FT-3 rated fuel cell.

Thankfully the fire systems, yes, two of them, were activated to suppress the fire both in and under the car before the car came to a stop (driver’s left) on the uphill front straight leading into turn 1.

Unfortunately, even with the car in 4th gear, the grade was extensive enough for the car to start rolling down/across the track as Jim was egressing the car. He was hung up in the door and was drug 70 feet across the track before finally falling free in the middle of the track as his car continued to roll off course (driver’s right). This all happened in less than 10 seconds…

The COTA safety personnel was thankfully positioned almost directly across the track from where Jim originally stopped the car and they were rolling before race control could even radio for their assistance. Their safety vehicle flanked both Jim and his car to provide a barrier to the other racers while Jim was working himself free of the car.

When you watch the video, look at the intensity of the flames prior to Jim hitting the fire suppression system… It’s amazing how easily the fire vaporizes CCR legal “fire tape” which were covering only a few holes in the tub. Even the riveted aluminum patches showed signs of fire intrusion.
    Jim’s personal safety gear held up very well, but the right side of his suit was singed, cool suit lines melted where it went into his suit, right glove was singed.

So, a few questions you need to ask yourself..
    1. Can you egress your car quickly enough without being hung on any part of the car in an emergency situation?
    2. When was the last time you practiced an emergency egress?
    3. Do you race with the bare minimum CCR safety equipment? Should you add a head sock and fire retardant underwear to your already legal 3 layer suit? Are your gloves multi-layer or just the CCR minimum?
    4. Do you have a CCR minimum 2.5lb hand-held fire extinguisher, or a fire suppression system? (Just a note, if you think you could do ANY good with a hand-held extinguisher in this type of a situation, then you are kidding yourself)
    5. Do you have any open holes in the firewall or tub of your racecar? Are the holes covered with aluminum foil tape, aluminum patch panels ???

A good suggestion that has been made is to use a fire retardant adhesive to seal the riveted sheet metal patch panels.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rutland-1...-64C/202218155
    Marshall Mosty

Blog Entries
    5. Fire bottle needs to be charged with the handle in close proximity so you can pull it while fully belted in the driver’s seat. If you are using AFFF and the mfg has a recertification date identified on your bottle, send it in or you will need a hand extinguisher.

I just moved my handheld "backup" fire bottle to the passenger main hoop area. I can technically reach it with my right hand when still belted in, but it's a stretch.

I also have an AFFF system with a pull handle with easy reach of my being fully belted in. Am I OK if my handheld fire bottle is further away?
    Last edited by Pranav; 01-23-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post

I just moved my handheld "backup" fire bottle to the passenger main hoop area. I can technically reach it with my right hand when still belted in, but it's a stretch.

I also have an AFFF system with a pull handle with easy reach of my being fully belted in. Am I OK if my handheld fire bottle is further away?

As long you have one system that meets the CCR requirements within reach you are good to go. All the "extra" extinguishers are not inspected for compliance (but will be as a cursory inspection to ensure they are secured properly).
    Marshall Mosty

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Note for 2018 - the CMC rules for points have been changed to reflect the CCR points structure. No pole points, 1st = 100, 2nd = 90, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    Note for 2018 - the CMC rules for points have been changed to reflect the CCR points structure. No pole points, 1st = 100, 2nd = 90, etc.
    Wow that is massive! Thanks for pointing that out.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    The CCR also seems to have changed. No qualifying points for any of our classes. Everyone who takes the green is now considered a finisher for points. 20% drops called out specifically in the CMC rules. Per the CCR, there are no drops for AI unless a drop system is announced by the region. There is a "default" drop method called out in the CCR (10%) which is only in force if it is called out by the region. Or the region can do whatever they want. Is our region doing drops, default or other???

I still don't like the default allowances for dropping or not dropping DQ's, but nobody else seems to care. I like qualifying points. Sure does make the points spreadsheet harder, though.

I think the whole thing is a bit of a mess. A bit less of a mess than before, but still a bit messy...

Richard P.