Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Annual Tech Items

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    AI will continue with 5 drops for the season. The logic is that allows for one floating weekend for a "life happens" situation where you can't (or don't want to) make a race weekend and provides further provisions for one mechanical issue, or poor finishing position.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    AI will continue with 5 drops for the season. The logic is that allows for one floating weekend for a "life happens" situation where you can't (or don't want to) make a race weekend and provides further provisions for one mechanical issue, or poor finishing position.
    any idea why this didn't carry to CMC?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    I'll ask Hank for clarification at the event. I'm looking for things bigger than a sheetmetal screw.
    I have those. Just need to separate "allowed" from "best practice" for now. Intent is to make sure there will be no doubts for a National's tech before we get there.

Oh, and agree - this post is great at the beginning of each season.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Cmc will continue to have enough drops to cover a full weekend, no changes there.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I'm gonna rip this off and send to my guys. If any royalties are due, just charge Rob Weston if he comes to Hallett.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Cmc will continue to have enough drops to cover a full weekend, no changes there.
    I know I'm an anal-retentive pain in the ass, but:

Last year there were six events and 23 races. That gave 5 drops (4.6 rounded up) which allowed dropping a bad race beyond missing an event. Two, if you skipped COTA. With five events this year (assume 19 races), that would be a change to only 4 drops (3.8 rounded up per the 20% in the CMC rules). That doesn't allow for a bad race if you skip an event.

Probably not all that relevant. There was only one person that attended all the events last year and there wasn't a battle for pretty much anything at the end. It used to be a really big deal and I have hopes that it will be again...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    I know I'm an anal-retentive pain in the ass, but:

Last year there were six events and 23 races. That gave 5 drops (4.6 rounded up) which allowed dropping a bad race beyond missing an event. Two, if you skipped COTA. With five events this year (assume 19 races), that would be a change to only 4 drops (3.8 rounded up per the 20% in the CMC rules). That doesn't allow for a bad race if you skip an event.

Probably not all that relevant. There was only one person that attended all the events last year and there wasn't a battle for pretty much anything at the end. It used to be a really big deal and I have hopes that it will be again...

Richard P.
    The cost of COTA I assume will cause several to skip it. Then as you said just one bad race and you are done.

JJ

Discussion on a couple points?
    Helmets: SA2000 is the minimum requirement for helmets in the CCR and neither 2018 AI or CMC rules express anything otherwise. So any homologated SA/FIA helmet from 2000 on is OK.
    With the changes in helmet standards since 2005 (and particularly 2015) related to pre-fitted terminals for head/neck and other topics, it seems the CCR should be updated to reflect current certs? Too much has changed since 2000 IMO.

Nets: Safety nets are not called out with any expiration but our window nets did/do have a tag indicating expiration. Right side did not expire and I don't see any tag on any of ours.

Fire systems: if you have not done a discharge test or at least refilled in 5 years, you might want to do so.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFirePony View Post
    Helmets: SA2000 is the minimum requirement for helmets in the CCR and neither 2018 AI or CMC rules express anything otherwise. So any homologated SA/FIA helmet from 2000 on is OK.
    With the changes in helmet standards since 2005 (and particularly 2015) related to pre-fitted terminals for head/neck and other topics, it seems the CCR should be updated to reflect current certs? Too much has changed since 2000 IMO.

Nets: Safety nets are not called out with any expiration but our window nets did/do have a tag indicating expiration. Right side did not expire and I don't see any tag on any of ours.

Fire systems: if you have not done a discharge test or at least refilled in 5 years, you might want to do so.
    Here is a link to the current CCR's. Below is the specific info for helmets and window nets.
    https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...282/2018.2.pdf

15.10 Windows / Window Nets
    Vehicles shall be operated with both side glass windows fully open.
    Window nets shall be used on the driver’s side window. The net shall be installed with a quick release
    mechanism at the top front mount so as to allow the window net to fall toward the floor of the vehicle when
    released. Fasteners must be metal and must be attached to the roll cage, and not the door or body. Drilling
    holes in the roll cage to mount the window net is strictly prohibited unless properly “bushed.” Plastic ties or
    Bungee (type) cords prohibited. The window net must be in very good condition and carry an SFI label
    indicating a date showing that the net is less than five (5) years old.

15.17.3 Helmet
    All drivers are required to wear a properly fitted and secured helmet while on track. Helmets must be approved
    by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell SA2010, EA2016, or newer*. Ratings other than that of “SA” (Special
    Application), (e.g. M2005, M2010, or CMR2007), are not acceptable. *Alternatively, helmets with an FIA
    certification of FIA 8859-2015, FIA 8860-2010, or FIA 8858-2010 or newer are acceptable. It is strongly
    recommended that any helmet sustaining any substantial impact be replaced.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFirePony View Post

I believe only AFFF expires, but halon is good as long as it's full. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    RM CMC Director