Thread: Mustang Transmission Options

Hybrid View

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    I have a TR 3650 that we rebuilt in 2013. Works like clockwork no issues. Use purple ATF for fluid.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    I have a TR 3650 that we rebuilt in 2013. Works like clockwork no issues. Use purple ATF for fluid.
    I was looking at those, although I think I'd have a hard time getting it to work nicely with a 5 liter. I've got one in my S197 and haven't had any issues in several years of heavy track duty.

- J

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I still use the stock t-45 with no issues (knock on wood)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    3550 Input/Main Shaft
    10sp in, 28 out

TKO500 Cluster
    Tko500/600 Case
    2nd and 3rd have been replaced, not sure if it was with 3550/tko or tko500/600 parts at this point.

This happened at MSRH a few years ago, I replaced the cluster and 3rd gear, I'd probably replace the same stuff and make sure 3rd is the newer alloy.

No way I'd put a T5 in the car at this point, a 3650 can be done, gotta cut the stock bell off and make another bell work if I remember correctly.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    a 3650 can be done, gotta cut the stock bell off and make another bell work if I remember correctly.
    The transmission is listed as legal in the CMC rule book but it's not clear to me if such games to make it work with a 5.0 would be considered legal??? I'd certainly get a ruling before I spent the money. I'm also not completely sure I understand the advantages, either.

I made the stock T5 in my car last for well over a decade including more than three full seasons of racing. Much of the time over 300 hp and up to 330hp/350tq for one event. That one transmission easily had around 100 events on it, half of them doing double duty with Chris Marvel sharing the car. It wasn't even a T5Z. I swapped it out when the synchros were completely worn out in all the forward gears and it crunched lightly on every shift. Other people can't make them last more than a couple of events before they blow them to pieces...

Richard P.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    I bought Marshall's Astro when he parted his car out. So far so good. I also have a WC T-5 and a 12-spline clutch that will be on the trailer for out of town events just in case.

I had a freshly rebuilt (professionally) T-5 break 3rd at Cresson last year after 5 sessions on track. My theory is that the case bearing bores get out of aligment and we don't check them for alignment before assembly. Then less than adequate tooth contact and boom, broken gears.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Modifications need to fit a legal gearbox to a legal engine and make the driveline work are CMC legal...as long as not done so as to gain other advantages. For example, you're likely to need to make modifications to the trans cross member to mount a different gearbox that has the mount two inches farther rearward and that's expected and ok but if those modifications result in the transmission also moving three inches lower then not ok. Logical?
    Al Fernandez