Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SN95 gas tank

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Al, there is nothing specifically noted in the CMC rules about running an aftermarket tank like this one in the previous post. Is this something that would be good to run in CMC?
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Reading the CMC rules...
    The 2003 Cobra is not an allowed car, which means its parts that are different than the allowed 2003 models are not allowed, unless explicitly allowed elsewhere in the rules. Replacement parts must not offer a performance improvement over the OE. No fuel tank modifications other than going full fuel cell are allowed. The sum total of those rules means that aftermarket tank and pump assembly are not legal. Not saying that it shouldn't be considered, but per todays rules I would say they are not allowed so would require a rules change.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Reading the CMC rules...
    The 2003 Cobra is not an allowed car, which means its parts that are different than the allowed 2003 models are not allowed, unless explicitly allowed elsewhere in the rules. Replacement parts must not offer a performance improvement over the OE. No fuel tank modifications other than going full fuel cell are allowed. The sum total of those rules means that aftermarket tank and pump assembly are not legal. Not saying that it shouldn't be considered, but per todays rules I would say they are not allowed so would require a rules change.
    How do you enforce this? Looks to me that this tank is exactly the same as a stock tank looking at the outside.

JJ

Reading the CMC rules...
    By this logic I take it an 03 Cobra steering rack isn't allowed either, asking for a friend.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    By this logic I take it an 03 Cobra steering rack isn't allowed either, asking for a friend.

- Josh
    And 03 cobra control arms, and....
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

If a Cobra steering rack is the same as a GT steering rack then its fine. If a Cobra steering rack is 2 turns lock to lock and a GT rack is 3.8 then its not fine. Its not whether it came in a cobra rather whether its the same as what was in the GT.

Ah enforcement is an entirely different problem. We've never done this, but one could just go up to a car post race and start pouring fuel into it and see how much it takes. Pretty easy to tell if the car is capable of running close to empty or not. For that matter, this tank is just one solution. You could arrive at a similar place simply stuffing fuel insoluble things into the tank. Or so I've heard.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    If a Cobra steering rack is the same as a GT steering rack then its fine. If a Cobra steering rack is 2 turns lock to lock and a GT rack is 3.8 then its not fine. Its not whether it came in a cobra rather whether its the same as what was in the GT.

The racks are different but it would be impossible to tell visually or by turning it lock to lock. The Cobra rack has a stiffer T-bar for reduced power assist. In theory, it has a better, more performance oriented feel. This assumes, of course, that you bought a good factory rack that specifically came off of a cobra. If you bought a remanufactured rack, there is no telling what you have. I've bought the "correct" rack and found it did have the different steering ratio from the 4 cylinder model. You could buy a GT version and get a Cobra version without knowing it (way less likely).

Ah enforcement is an entirely different problem. We've never done this, but one could just go up to a car post race and start pouring fuel into it and see how much it takes. Pretty easy to tell if the car is capable of running close to empty or not. For that matter, this tank is just one solution. You could arrive at a similar place simply stuffing fuel insoluble things into the tank. Or so I've heard.

The factory tank works just fine down to empty. But most factory tanks at this point have had the baffle inside of the tank break loose. Replacement tanks are cheap but don't work much below half full. Some people, even those with still functioning factory tanks, use fuel as ballast. Your method of checking legality makes absolutely no sense.

The Cobra tank is a legal outside stamping with different baffling inside. The Cobra pump assembly uses two pumps which isn't legal. I don't see it as a legal setup for a CMC car. I also don't see it as a performance benefit over a factory fox tank. I do see it as a possible performance benefit over the crap that you can actually buy to keep your ancient fox running.

Richard P.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    So what can be done if it is impossible to buy an OEM tank or a stock equivalent tank?
    I have run three different aftermarket tanks over the last 10 years and all of them start to fuel starve after using about 6 gallons. Straight out of the box with a good baffle and new pump and filter. The last few years at Hallett I have even completely warmed my car up in the pits and then topped off the tank before heading to grid because I know it might start to cough in the last lap or two of the final 30 minute race.

I am concerned during the longer race at COTA that my current tank situation would hose me during the end of the race.
    I have looked everywhere and cannot find a SN95 specific fuel tank. Everything aftermarket says 87-95 or newer.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    So what can be done if it is impossible to buy an OEM tank or a stock equivalent tank?
    I have run three different aftermarket tanks over the last 10 years and all of them start to fuel starve after using about 6 gallons. Straight out of the box with a good baffle and new pump and filter. The last few years at Hallett I have even completely warmed my car up in the pits and then topped off the tank before heading to grid because I know it might start to cough in the last lap or two of the final 30 minute race.

I am concerned during the longer race at COTA that my current tank situation would hose me during the end of the race.
    I have looked everywhere and cannot find a SN95 specific fuel tank. Everything aftermarket says 87-95 or newer.
    https://www.amazon.com/Evan-Fischer-...tang+fuel+tank

I didn’t know the original tanks were good down to almost empty. If that’s the case then yeah enforcement is difficult at best lol.
    Al Fernandez