Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
If a Cobra steering rack is the same as a GT steering rack then its fine. If a Cobra steering rack is 2 turns lock to lock and a GT rack is 3.8 then its not fine. Its not whether it came in a cobra rather whether its the same as what was in the GT.

The racks are different but it would be impossible to tell visually or by turning it lock to lock. The Cobra rack has a stiffer T-bar for reduced power assist. In theory, it has a better, more performance oriented feel. This assumes, of course, that you bought a good factory rack that specifically came off of a cobra. If you bought a remanufactured rack, there is no telling what you have. I've bought the "correct" rack and found it did have the different steering ratio from the 4 cylinder model. You could buy a GT version and get a Cobra version without knowing it (way less likely).

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
Ah enforcement is an entirely different problem. We've never done this, but one could just go up to a car post race and start pouring fuel into it and see how much it takes. Pretty easy to tell if the car is capable of running close to empty or not. For that matter, this tank is just one solution. You could arrive at a similar place simply stuffing fuel insoluble things into the tank. Or so I've heard.

The factory tank works just fine down to empty. But most factory tanks at this point have had the baffle inside of the tank break loose. Replacement tanks are cheap but don't work much below half full. Some people, even those with still functioning factory tanks, use fuel as ballast. Your method of checking legality makes absolutely no sense.

The Cobra tank is a legal outside stamping with different baffling inside. The Cobra pump assembly uses two pumps which isn't legal. I don't see it as a legal setup for a CMC car. I also don't see it as a performance benefit over a factory fox tank. I do see it as a possible performance benefit over the crap that you can actually buy to keep your ancient fox running.

Richard P.