Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: COTA Regional Attendance

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Track is so long that the out lap/cooldown lap take so much time it impacts the length of the sessions and the number allowed. I'm curious if insurance costs are different. But I feel safer in my 260 rwhp fully caged, suited, hans, fire system in a race than I would in a DE in short sleeves in a 520 rwhp Vette with people who have little track experience (especially at COTA).

Otherwise I can speculate and the first factor is this is a business to make money. There are more potential DE people than racers out there and if you make it cheap enough hopefully there will be more demand for DE. Keep in mind NASA is based out of Cali and don't know about now but years ago they would have DE only weekends with tons of cars. Look at all the other DE organizations out there running events and now with TWS out of the picture weekends are more limited.

Now back to Econ 101 and supply/demand for me. I'm going to skip racing at COTA so no $1,200 in revenue. However I still may come and run DE which works out to $799 with the $100 off I could use at Hallett. (DE also gets one extra session per day compared to racers which is why Daniel sniffer is confused if he is going to pay more for less time) If I DE that's still $500 less in revenue than if I was racing but $800 is better than $0. What's interesting is NOLA in October is only $285 for a weekend of racing compared to Hallett being $429.

After this whole lesson it brings me back to a question already asked about SIM rigs? I forgot to look closer at the rig in the van I saw at Cresson.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    NOLA is cheap because the NASA region running it owns the track themselves; no rental fees to pay and pure profit. Keep that in mind.

Next year I would prefer one more local event over or in addition to NOLA. Maybe two more letting us racers skip COTA regional if COTA nationals happens again for 2019.
    Last edited by Pranav; 03-14-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Otherwise I can speculate and the first factor is this is a business to make money. There are more potential DE people than racers out there and if you make it cheap enough hopefully there will be more demand for DE.
    Agreed, there isn't a logical reason, they are just trying a different business strategy. Maybe last year the racer attendance was good and DE wasn't? Maybe NASATX thinks the racers will bite the bullet again(and most will I would bet), esp with Nats being there and folks wanting more tracktime at COTA?
    I seem to remember reg numbers were low at first but they were pretty good when it was said and done.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Nats being there and folks wanting pre-Nationals tracktime at COTA
    Fixed; really only reason I'm running in May is to have some actual track time. Closest Nationals will ever be for me.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Agreed, there isn't a logical reason, they are just trying a different business strategy. Maybe last year the racer attendance was good and DE wasn't? Maybe NASATX thinks the racers will bite the bullet again(and most will I would bet), esp with Nats being there and folks wanting more tracktime at COTA?
    I seem to remember reg numbers were low at first but they were pretty good when it was said and done.
    It's a little of both. The DE price point was too high and the race groups need more EV support from the COTA team ($$$).
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Seems like they could use the cut through on the national course for warm up and cool down laps. That would save 2 miles of slower driving each session.

Or we could run the national course and get more laps per race.

Senior Member Rookie Cody Powell's Avatar
    I’m gonna sign up for Comp school, all day Friday and both days of racing (with instruction) $1499? Who is pricing this stuff?
    Just hangin' with the dudes from Texas.

np01's are $1250 vs $1200, interesting
    can we all do comp school??? :-D
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Rookie
    I guess I will do comp school next year. No way I can have the car and me ready. COTA would have been a cool place to get my license.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Powell View Post
    I’m gonna sign up for Comp school, all day Friday and both days of racing (with instruction) $1499? Who is pricing this stuff?
    What's the rule on contact in comp school?

Maybe they can send us back to hpde4 and knock another $600 off lol