Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mushy pedal at COTA?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

Mushy pedal at COTA?

Fill out this quick survey for me:

Did you get a mushy brake pedal at COTA?
    What front brake package do you run?
    What brake fluid were you running?
    Are you running brake ducts?

Me last year:
    Yes
    Wilwoods with C4 rotors
    Motul 600 and then trackside flush to castrol SRF in desperation
    Yes, but they sucked

This year I am running stoptechs with Ti pad shields, motul 660, and hopefully improved brake ducts.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I'd stick to SRF, that stuff is rock solid. I run a whole season on it and it's still clean by the end. Saves money in the long run. Be more specific on your duct setup. I run mine through the foglights and they kinda suck. Will redo with NACA ducts in the front bumper at some point for a straighter shorter shot.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I have just three inch round hole inlets up where the headlights used to be.

My basis on "sucks" is the ducts catch a lot less tire boogers than when they used to be hooked right into the lower radiator air dam.

I'm going to go with NACA ducts where the front fog lights slits are for a more straight shot too.

I'm curious on what others ran into at COTA last year as I believe I talked to at least one stoptech equipped guy that complained of a soft pedal.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Stoptech's with ducts (with several cuts in hoses) ATE Super Blue. I drain the calipers prior to Hallett ever year. Still on my second can in ten years but almost out. Never had a soft pedal. Cobalt pads. Best feel in brake pads......ask Kevin or Tyler if you don't believe me. Great prices and last a long time.

JJ

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I wasn't at COTA last year but run Stoptech's and have never had a soft pedal. I think Jerry and I must be the last people running Super Blue. I usually just flush the caliper after every other event and always before Hallett. Currently running PFC01 pads.
    I honestly can't think of ever hearing of anyone getting a soft pedal while running Stoptechs with fresh fluid.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Only time I've had a soft pedal in my car (cobra calipers up front...too po' for stoptech) was when the rear pads were down to the backing plates. Change my DOT4 fluid every other event also.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I think Jerry and I must be the last people running Super Blue. I usually just flush the caliper after every other event and always before Hallett. Currently running PFC01 pads.
    This is good to know as that is what is in my car now. Considering the car has sat for so long the brakes were surprisingly good. Pads and a flush for now it is.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Mushy Pedal: No
    Front brake setup: Stoptechs with PFC01/Hawk Blue F/R (now running Cobalt XP2/XP4 F/R)
    Brake fluid: Motul 600 - I flush a bottle through after every weekend
    Brake Ducts: Yes

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    From the old AI67 setup

Mushy Pedal: No
    Front Brakes: Stoptechs with Raybestos 47's
    Brake Fluid: Amsoil Racing
    Brake Ducts: Yes (using the GT foglight holes)
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Pranav,

A fatal flaw with your questioning regards the brake ducts IMO. You should have specified what type of spindle ducts were being run as well, i.e. the kind of thing where a hose blows at the rotor, or the more proper setup where a plate seals off the inside of the rotor and the duct pressurizes it and forces more air through. I know in the case of the 4th gen Camaros either is an option and depending on the creativity of the car builder this could span all platforms and have a real impact on brake mushiness, effectiveness, longevity, pad and fluid selection.
    RM CMC Director