Thread: 5.0 oil pan gasket

Senior Member Rookie

5.0 oil pan gasket

Can anyone recommend one? So many choices and not sure what is easiest or best. A gm car I had needed a 4 piece with black rtv placed in only two spots or it always leaked, always. Also my car does not have a oil dipstick. Any reason not to have one?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I had good luck with a 1 piece Felpro, just be sure to put a dab at the sharpish edges on the main cap side and oil pan side to prevent leakage.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    I've used the one piece blue felpro and the 4-piece cork gaskets with success. RTV at the front across the timing cover and in the back at the main bearing cap splitline. Preferably under the cap to seal up that rear main seal housing splitline. Canton pan on my car with their dipstick.

Quote Originally Posted by centerville View Post
    Can anyone recommend one? So many choices and not sure what is easiest or best. A gm car I had needed a 4 piece with black rtv placed in only two spots or it always leaked, always. Also my car does not have a oil dipstick. Any reason not to have one?
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Rookie
    Thanks the blue fel pro seems to be the one. I got the car up off the ground and its definetly the rear main, an fittings for accusump, oil filter adapter. I can't see how I am going to get the oil pan off without pulling the motor. Is that the case with the canton pan? Drop the whole k member?
    If that's the case my list just got a lot longer. How much leaking oil is too much?
    Last edited by centerville; 03-19-2018 at 07:52 PM.

I'm changing my rear main right now! What a coincidence. I was oil misting the back of the car pretty good.

Probably easiest to drop the k member if the engine doesn't have to come out for some other reason. 6 of one half dozen of the other really. You shouldn't have to pull the pan to do the rear main though.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Thanks the blue fel pro seems to be the one. I got the car up off the ground and its definetly the rear main, an fittings for accusump, oil filter adapter. I can't see how I am going to get the oil pan off without pulling the motor. Is that the case with the canton pan? Drop the whole k member?
    If that's the case my list just got a lot longer. How much leaking oil is too much?
    Enough to starve the engine or get a black flag? Might be difficult to follow you.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Rookie
    I was just thinking getting through tech. 48hrs on the trailer and I had about 1' puddle on metal trailer.

I was just thinking getting through tech. 48hrs on the trailer and I had about 1' puddle on metal trailer.
    Read 1 inch at first. 1 foot is quite a bit and what my car was doing. The whole underneath and back was misted over. I think it was getting on my tires too. It degraded through the weekend and the car was a bit unstable by R4. Probably worth a look, don't want to start a fire.
    Last edited by Sook; 03-20-2018 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Words.
    CMC #50