Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stoptech Big Brake Kit CMC

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar
    im guessing the rotors?
    AI # 12

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Yeah as a class we got to the point where we realized it was dumb to pay MORE for non-slotted rotors once we started wearing down the rotors on the Stoptechs, and now allow slotted rotors to help keep costs down.

That "CMC" kit is outdated since you don't need blank rotors any more.

http://www.aicmctexas.com/showthread...hlight=slotted

Also didn't realize the rotor rings are the same for both cars. I keep two spares in the trailer thanks to the deal Matt gave me.

Need to order a spare hat/screws in case I break one at the track one day.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    "As a class we got to the point we realized it was dumb to just use stock calipers and rotors..."
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    "As a class we got to the point we realized it was dumb to just use stock calipers and rotors..."
    While I agree Stoptech brakes don't go with the whole idea of CMC but neither does a new set of tires every weekend. I can say I just changed the rings on the 55 after five years (one was changed but the pin holes wallowed out not from a cracked ring) and I think they would go another one or two years. Pads are also less expensive and thicker than stock type pads. Hard to swallow but in the end you will save money on front brakes. Now what to do about the tires.......

Jerry

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    While I agree Stoptech brakes don't go with the whole idea of CMC but neither does a new set of tires every weekend. I can say I just changed the rings on the 55 after five years (one was changed but the pin holes wallowed out not from a cracked ring) and I think they would go another one or two years. Pads are also less expensive and thicker than stock type pads. Hard to swallow but in the end you will save money on front brakes. Now what to do about the tires.......

Jerry
    Do like NASCAR and have limited number of sets per season? Street tires? Iunno...
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    Do like NASCAR and have limited number of sets per season? Street tires? Iunno...
    I destroy street tires on track very quickly, they'd probably have to be shaved and I don't think anyone wants to go back to that.

The idea of a limited number of sets is intriguing, another aspect of competition. Also, provides more opportunity for excuses from racers and there are never enough of those! I'm not sure how to police it though. For our season of 5 regional races, how many sets would we mandate? 2.5 to allow for flat spotting?

The RRs don't seem to run out of rubber, just the heat cycle thing. I'd be much happier if there was no question that I could be competitive on a set for two weekends. Right now it's too up in the air to risk showing up at a race in an uncompetitive fashion due to all the other expenses, for me at least. If I know I can't afford a set of tires, I probably won't race.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Bring back the old ra1s.

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Bring back the old ra1s.
    +1
    AI # 12

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Bring back the old ra1s.
    Ain't gonna happen unless we can convince Toyo they will make the same amount or more money.
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I destroy street tires on track very quickly, they'd probably have to be shaved and I don't think anyone wants to go back to that.

The idea of a limited number of sets is intriguing, another aspect of competition. Also, provides more opportunity for excuses from racers and there are never enough of those! I'm not sure how to police it though. For our season of 5 regional races, how many sets would we mandate? 2.5 to allow for flat spotting?

If I know I can't afford a set of tires, I probably won't race.

- Josh
    Which just adds to reasons I quit. The cost has gotten out of control from what CMC used to be all about. The old RA1's were the perfect tire for the series.