Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stoptech Big Brake Kit CMC

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    It's always fun when we bury series discussions in someones for sale thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    The idea of a limited number of sets is intriguing, another aspect of competition. Also, provides more opportunity for excuses from racers and there are never enough of those! I'm not sure how to police it though. For our season of 5 regional races, how many sets would we mandate? 2.5 to allow for flat spotting?
    Limiting the number of tires is completely unworkable. For one, in the TEXAS region, there was only one CMC car that attended all the events last year and no AI cars. People who show up occasionally get to win on new tires while people going for the championship have to suffer half of their races on uncompetitive tires?

The big question is why there aren't more people showing up to all the events? I'm pretty sure tires is one of the biggest factors.

I really miss tires that sucked but sucked consistently for a really long time...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to start the tire shit on Chris's thread.

I got a call from a former CMC racer the other day that ask me about the state of CMC today. When I told him about the tire issue he said no way he would come back. He remembers six to eight tires in a six race weekend season. He has a car but tires will keep him away. How many others are in the same boat? MSRH, then Cresson, two weekends at TWS, Hallett and ECR plus practice days and all done on six to eight tires. Will told me Toyo swears they changed nothing from the first RA1 to the new RA1.

With NASA Texas having the largest field ever at Cresson I doubt anyone with NASA Texas or NASA National gives a shit about this issue in CMC. I think we could double our fields in CMC (don't know about AI) with a different tire situation.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 03-29-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I agree, the RR's heat cycle out way faster than the RA1's. I feel like I can get 2 weekends out of a set of tires with little drop. I think managing a full season on 2-3 sets of tires is very do-able.

I ran crap tires to start MSRH, in the rain, and they were terrible. Mounted up some new tires and ran them for the 4 races. Sunday qual, I ran off track on lap 1 in the rain so clearly not considered a heat cycle. I then ran the same set at Cresson for all 7 sessions. I figure they are at 11 heat cycles now and I plan to use them for practice at COTA and the invert race. Will have a new set for COTA that will get 4 heat cycles from 2 quals and 2 races. Will then run those tires at Hallett for qual and the 4 races so I'll be at 9 heat cycles on them at the end of Hallett.

And I also think $1,500 for Chris's StopTech brakes is a great deal, good luck with the sale!!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I agree, the RR's heat cycle out way faster than the RA1's. I feel like I can get 2 weekends out of a set of tires with little drop. I think managing a full season on 2-3 sets of tires is very do-able.

I ran crap tires to start MSRH, in the rain, and they were terrible. Mounted up some new tires and ran them for the 4 races. Sunday qual, I ran off track on lap 1 in the rain so clearly not considered a heat cycle. I then ran the same set at Cresson for all 7 sessions. I figure they are at 11 heat cycles now and I plan to use them for practice at COTA and the invert race. Will have a new set for COTA that will get 4 heat cycles from 2 quals and 2 races. Will then run those tires at Hallett for qual and the 4 races so I'll be at 9 heat cycles on them at the end of Hallett.

And I also think $1,500 for Chris's StopTech brakes is a great deal, good luck with the sale!!
    No doubt it you manage and flip your tires like Michael does you can do better. Kevin also runs older tires on inverts so yes you can do it on three sets but that does not change the fact that somewhere around 10-12 heat cycles the tires have lost a little. Also if you want to go as fast as possible and do the best you can in every race (even inverts) running "crap tires" is not going to do it. I have two full sets with 12 heat cycles that still look only half worn but they are slower than new tires I promise.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 03-29-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I bring three sets of rrs: crappy, ok, good

The crappy for Friday, ok for inverts and warmup, good for qual and toyo races.

Buy a new set every other race.

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar
    still for sale, come get em
    AI # 12

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Wonder if these calipers would work with my girodisc rotors to avoid double investing.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    Wonder if these calipers would work with my girodisc rotors to avoid double investing.
    NVM...wife would murder me if I bought these and a fuel cell in this off-season
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Wait, I've met your sweet wife.
    I'm sure she wouldn't murder you.
    It would look like a tragic accident.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Why would you want all that fuel sloshing around behind the axle anyway?
    RM CMC Director