Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New ai/cmc tire thread

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

New ai/cmc tire thread

I decided to start a new thread. I think the health of our series depends on something being done (but I doubt it will be).

I got a call from a former CMC racer the other day that ask me about the state of CMC today. When I told him about the tire issue he said no way he would come back. He remembers six to eight tires in a six race weekend season. He has a car but tires will keep him away. How many others are in the same boat? MSRH, then Cresson, two weekends at TWS, Hallett and ECR plus practice days and all done on six to eight tires. Will told me Toyo swears they changed nothing from the first RA1 to the new RA1.

With NASA Texas having the largest field ever at Cresson I doubt anyone with NASA Texas or NASA National gives a shit about this issue in CMC. I think we could double our fields in CMC (don't know about AI) with a different tire situation. What do you think the guys that started CMC would think about this?
    JJ

Before anyone says "bring back the old RA1s"...they don't exist any more. RA1s exist but they are not the same as before.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Maybe they didn't change, maybe cars are faster, more power, driving harder etc. The RR's I've had on the miata look to "wear" 1/2 as fast as they did on the CMC car, after 2 weekends there is a ton of tread left, the HC fall off I don't know yet, but I can only imagine the lower power and weight doesn't take as much as a toll on the tire staying fast. The guy that ran a blistering 1.24.x in a 125hp miata at MSRC was on older tires fyi.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

I came into CMC (Mid Atlantic) mid 2013 so I have limited experience on the old RA1's. I was the first in our region on RR's at the beginning of 2014 and have tracked heat cycles for every tire since. Most I've gotten was 36 H/C out of a set of 4. Least was in the low 20's due to not rotating them well.....usually I get 30. I've found my car doesn't even like them the first 3 H/C. I've set track records at 2 different tracks, once on 22 H/C tires and another track using 18 H/C tires. I've learned how each corner of the car wears each tire differently and rotate them for longest life. A typical 7-8 weekend race season is typically 6 tires for me. (Due to stocking up for Nationals in 2015 and 2016 I ran the entire 2017 season without buying a single set of tires. My "newest" 2 sets have 2015 and 2016 dates codes. They have 14 and 21 H/C respectively and I'll use them til mid-season before buying another set)

Hopefully I can make it to COTA in Sept so we can see if I'm actually competitive (obviously I think I am )

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    I came into CMC (Mid Atlantic) mid 2013 so I have limited experience on the old RA1's. I was the first in our region on RR's at the beginning of 2014 and have tracked heat cycles for every tire since. Most I've gotten was 36 H/C out of a set of 4. Least was in the low 20's due to not rotating them well.....usually I get 30. I've found my car doesn't even like them the first 3 H/C. I've set track records at 2 different tracks, once on 22 H/C tires and another track using 18 H/C tires. I've learned how each corner of the car wears each tire differently and rotate them for longest life. A typical 7-8 weekend race season is typically 6 tires for me. (Due to stocking up for Nationals in 2015 and 2016 I ran the entire 2017 season without buying a single set of tires. My "newest" 2 sets have 2015 and 2016 dates codes. They have 14 and 21 H/C respectively and I'll use them til mid-season before buying another set)

Hopefully I can make it to COTA in Sept so we can see if I'm actually competitive (obviously I think I am )
    We would love to have you at COTA, I have learned from CMC and SM, Texas has some GREAT competition/drivers.
    Look forward to meeting you!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think anyone here in Texas has set a track record on 22 h/c tires. Here is what I know for a fact because I saw it happen. I hired a very well known driving coach a few years ago at TWS. After lunch he told me if I put on new tires I would pick up two seconds. I called BS but he said he had seen the same thing while coaching Tyler in a CMC car at the same track. I put on a set of stickers and yes I went two second quicker in the next session. Maybe spring rates have something to do with it. I know I'm hard on the RR's because everyone says if you get them too hot they will not fully recover. I have been known to slide the car way more than I should.
    I have been wondering if maybe Toyo is telling the truth about the tires. Maybe we are all so much faster than we were back in the day. I know I was telling Bryan how damn fast Jeff Burch used to be at Hallett. He would be half a lap ahead of the rest of the field. I used to accuse him of smoking a cigarette during the Hallett races. I have never kept up with lap times much but I was shocked last year when BL told me that we were running lap times way quicker than Jeff used to (and we are certainly not one of the fastest guys). If running faster laps is causing the h/c issue AI should have had the problem we are having now even back when CMC was using "thin to win" tires in big races.

Oh and by the way if your car does not like the first three heat cycles I know a guy or two that would be glad to put those heat cycles on them for you......free of course.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I don't think anyone here in Texas has set a track record on 22 h/c tires. Here is what I know for a fact because I saw it happen. I hired a very well known driving coach a few years ago at TWS. After lunch he told me if I put on new tires I would pick up two seconds. I called BS but he said he had seen the same thing while coaching Tyler in a CMC car at the same track. I put on a set of stickers and yes I went two second quicker in the next session. Maybe spring rates have something to do with it. I know I'm hard on the RR's because everyone says if you get them too hot they will not fully recover. I have been known to slide the car way more than I should.
    I have been wondering if maybe Toyo is telling the truth about the tires. Maybe we are all so much faster than we were back in the day. I know I was telling Bryan how damn fast Jeff Burch used to be at Hallett. He would be half a lap ahead of the rest of the field. I used to accuse him of smoking a cigarette during the Hallett races. I have never kept up with lap times much but I was shocked last year when BL told me that we were running lap times way quicker than Jeff used to (and we are certainly not one of the fastest guys). If running faster laps is causing the h/c issue AI should have had the problem we are having now even back when CMC was using "thin to win" tires in big races.

Oh and by the way if your car does not like the first three heat cycles I know a guy or two that would be glad to put those heat cycles on them for you......free of course.

JJ
    We all know it takes a combination of conditions to break track records......but i've run the same time (within .003) 2 years apart and both times were on "old" tires. I guess my car setup, etc. just seems to work better once the tires start to slide a little more than they do with stickers.

So sure, I'll let you run a set of my stickers on Friday and Saturday....then on Sunday we'll switch and you run what I was running for Sunday! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    We would love to have you at COTA, I have learned from CMC and SM, Texas has some GREAT competition/drivers.
    Look forward to meeting you!
    I've followed TX a little on this forum since it seems to have the largest CMC field and the competition seems tight......between Mid Atlantic and Great Lakes not sure who is second largest. Last year we had between 6 and 13 CMC cars at our races. We paddock together, work on each others cars, and all live close enough that we get together outside of racing pretty regularly......and the ball bustin is brutal!

I've followed TX a little on this forum since it seems to have the largest CMC field and the competition seems tight......between Mid Atlantic and Great Lakes not sure who is second largest. Last year we had between 6 and 13 CMC cars at our races. We paddock together, work on each others cars, and all live close enough that we get together outside of racing pretty regularly......and the ball bustin is brutal!
    So, if say one of the the Texas region guys were to move to Ohio in the next
    couple months, where might he connect with some of the Great Lakes CMC guys?
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

Quote Originally Posted by 39PitCrew View Post
    So, if say one of the the Texas region guys were to move to Ohio in the next
    couple months, where might he connect with some of the Great Lakes CMC guys?
    I don't know.....I run Mid Atlantic and am in VA. (I did race at Mid-Ohio once and also ran against a group from GL that came to Nationals at Watkins Glen 2016)