Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
Be that as it may, my car has been on track since about 2004 so take that for what it's worth. Miata is likely similarly flimsy but is smaller, lighter, and runs smaller tires so doesn't see the loads that our cars do. I haven't missed any races due to the crack in my trans tunnel. Wheel bearings can also be driven around. My argument against the newer stuff is it's a lot more expensive. The issues you bring up are, IMO, minor and mitigatable. For about $1200 you can have nuke proof 4th gen front hubs, much cheaper than a newer platform. Even then I just keep spares in the trailer and only lose 1 every other season or so. I personally haven't seen any cracked k members. Trans tunnel cracks can be welded, Mustang torque boxes are allowed to be reinforced. What's left?
Not looking to have an argument just pointing a few things out. If I was going to build a brand new car right now with the option of CMC or a new CMC-like class for newer cars, I personally wouldn't start with a fox platform or an old 3rd/4th gen.

- Josh