Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New body Camaro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries

New body Camaro

Hypothetically, if I had a 2012 SS Camaro, what RACE Class when I fall into?
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

AI or one of the S classes I think. A new class for 5/6th gen Camaros, challengers, and s197s/s550s with limited mods would be cool tough.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    AIX maybe?

Blog Entries
    They should include Camaros in spec iron. eventy you’re going to have to do a “new” CMC or the series will die off
    Last edited by Rsmith350; 04-06-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Camaros have independent rear suspension that’s where they get you!

Blog Entries
    There's got to be a way to BOP these cars. IRS or not, obviously with weight penalties or others there's a way

Also there’s no travel for the rear suspension for road racing that’s why everybody is veered away from it

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsmith350 View Post
    They should include Camaros in spec iron. eventy you’re going to have to do a “new” CMC or the series will die off
    I disagree, Spec Miata isn't dying off and those cars aren't getting any younger.
    RM CMC Director

The Miata is probably better suited to road racing though. I've never had any structural issues with my S197 on track.

The 4th gen isn't that structurally sound for road racing loads. Cracked k-members, cracked floors, bad front bearings, all really common stuff.

I haven't had too many issues structurally with the Fox yet, I do check the hatch panel gap and it changes every weekend on track (.25 - .5"). It seems to be a pretty flexible car even with the cage in it. If you don't brace the rear suspension pick up points on the fox you can rip them out.

I think there's an argument to be made that the newer generation of cars is more suited to road racing from a reliability standpoint, I know the S197 is.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Be that as it may, my car has been on track since about 2004 so take that for what it's worth. Miata is likely similarly flimsy but is smaller, lighter, and runs smaller tires so doesn't see the loads that our cars do. I haven't missed any races due to the crack in my trans tunnel. Wheel bearings can also be driven around. My argument against the newer stuff is it's a lot more expensive. The issues you bring up are, IMO, minor and mitigatable. For about $1200 you can have nuke proof 4th gen front hubs, much cheaper than a newer platform. Even then I just keep spares in the trailer and only lose 1 every other season or so. I personally haven't seen any cracked k members. Trans tunnel cracks can be welded, Mustang torque boxes are allowed to be reinforced. What's left?
    RM CMC Director