Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cobra Caliper front brake pads

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Just following up, my g loc 10s are almost done and curious about the cobalt xr2s.

Anyone done a comparison between these compounds and have a half worn set I can bum off them to try?
    I have at least two sets with 1/8" to 3/16" left on them. You are welcome to them at COTA or even before that if you want to try them.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Just a public service reminder from your nerdy NASA engineer: Many of these different race pad compounds leave a deposit of material on the rotor. The pads often won't even work well until they have been pushed hard enough and heated up enough to leave this deposit. It's not uncommon for different pad materials to not be compatible with each other. Swapping different compounds around can lead to some really crappy braking.

I bought my Stoptech's used. Whatever pads were used before I got them most certainly were not compatible with the Porterfield R4 pads that I use. As the different deposits unevenly wore off/mixed/deposited, I got brake shudder that bounced the steering wheel out of my hands under heavy braking. Turning or replacing the rotors is the only solution. Turning slotted or drilled floating rotors is logistically challenging...

Richard P.
    Your issue Richard is the R4 is not a very aggressive pad and has trouble removing the old transfer layer.

JJ