Thread: Diff Cover Drain

Hybrid View

Senior Member Rookie

Diff Cover Drain

Ok so I read the "Differentials or differential covers may have a drain plug added" Does this mean I have to add the drain plug to the oem cover?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Yeah but with our rear ends I would skip that and pill the cover periodically to inspect the gears and diff.

Clean up the rtv and make sure the cover is straight (new ones are cheap), and get some fiber gaskets. I'm able to pull mine and have zero gasket residue to clean up each time, no leaks.

Senior Member Rookie
    Good point. I will have to look at fiber gaskets. Thanks.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I got a fresh new diff cover and a stack of gaskets off rockauto for cheap.

I think a new smooth differ cover and a good wire wheel cleaning of the housing will be the trick to get a clean release of the gasket each time, plus about every few race if you pull it to check it shouldn't "set" and harden to where it makes a mess to clean up. I'm liking this a lot better than rtv.
    Last edited by Pranav; 06-24-2018 at 01:14 PM.

For clarity, you don’t have to add a drain plug to the cover, you can add it to the housing. The GMs have a nice cavity right at the bottom that is perfect for this.
    Al Fernandez

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    For clarity, you don’t have to add a drain plug to the cover, you can add it to the housing. The GMs have a nice cavity right at the bottom that is perfect for this.
    Solid evidence it’s a GM biased rule set