Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diff Cover Drain

Senior Member Rookie

Diff Cover Drain

Ok so I read the "Differentials or differential covers may have a drain plug added" Does this mean I have to add the drain plug to the oem cover?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Yeah but with our rear ends I would skip that and pill the cover periodically to inspect the gears and diff.

Clean up the rtv and make sure the cover is straight (new ones are cheap), and get some fiber gaskets. I'm able to pull mine and have zero gasket residue to clean up each time, no leaks.

Senior Member Rookie
    Good point. I will have to look at fiber gaskets. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I got a fresh new diff cover and a stack of gaskets off rockauto for cheap.

I think a new smooth differ cover and a good wire wheel cleaning of the housing will be the trick to get a clean release of the gasket each time, plus about every few race if you pull it to check it shouldn't "set" and harden to where it makes a mess to clean up. I'm liking this a lot better than rtv.
    Last edited by Pranav; 06-24-2018 at 01:14 PM.

For clarity, you don’t have to add a drain plug to the cover, you can add it to the housing. The GMs have a nice cavity right at the bottom that is perfect for this.
    Al Fernandez

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    For clarity, you don’t have to add a drain plug to the cover, you can add it to the housing. The GMs have a nice cavity right at the bottom that is perfect for this.
    Solid evidence it’s a GM biased rule set

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    Solid evidence it’s a GM biased rule set
    Agreed it's GM biased towards the rearend....of the field.

Had to make a change after the 2016 results in Texas with Fords winning 83% of the podiums, every Toyo race, and every fast lap of the weekend.

2017 got it back in line with 2015's 72% Ford podiums. For 2017 Ford had 75.36% of podiums, every fast lap of weekend, but GM did get a single Toyo win.

2018 so far is right in line (but revisions may need to be reconsidered). Fords have won 73.33% of the podiums, but only 7 out of 8 Toyo races, and they have 3 out of four fast lap of the weekend.

But to keep this on topic are we allowed to run an aftermarket aluminum cover? What if said cover has some bolts to help the carrier bearing in the ultrastrong GM diff? What if the bolts are backed out so they don't provide any support? At least we are allowed to upgraded to the superior Ford 8.8 or Ford 9" with better posi and gearing options. Guess I need to do that swap instead of adding a diff cover with a drain.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    That's a negative on the aftermarket cover, this has come up before and gets shot down every time. There's an RCR thread on the national forum about this very topic from a few years back.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Agreed it's GM biased towards the rearend....of the field.

Had to make a change after the 2016 results in Texas with Fords winning 83% of the podiums, every Toyo race, and every fast lap of the weekend.

2017 got it back in line with 2015's 72% Ford podiums. For 2017 Ford had 75.36% of podiums, every fast lap of weekend, but GM did get a single Toyo win.

2018 so far is right in line (but revisions may need to be reconsidered). Fords have won 73.33% of the podiums, but only 7 out of 8 Toyo races, and they have 3 out of four fast lap of the weekend.

But to keep this on topic are we allowed to run an aftermarket aluminum cover? What if said cover has some bolts to help the carrier bearing in the ultrastrong GM diff? What if the bolts are backed out so they don't provide any support? At least we are allowed to upgraded to the superior Ford 8.8 or Ford 9" with better posi and gearing options. Guess I need to do that swap instead of adding a diff cover with a drain.
    Haha, I miss those crazy discussions!!!

Everything seemed about as even as could be at Hallett between Ford and GM from my perspective.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Haha, I miss those crazy discussions!!!

Everything seemed about as even as could be at Hallett between Ford and GM from my perspective.
    Not even close, it’s obvious that Fords have a massive advantage for the last corner of the last lap of the race.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net