Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Diff Cover Drain

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Bryan choked on the last lap, he had it locked down otherwise.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Extremely good points in the second paragraph. But I really like this quote from the 39 that sums it up pretty good for me. "You can say that about me and it doesn't bother me. I struggle whether I should make the investment in the time/cost balance to move up the field a couple of places. OR... keep having a great time with some great folks with a little racing thrown in for good measure."

Mosty-I wasn't around 12 years ago as I was still in high school. But yes I'm having fun sharing the same type of data that was used in the past. Sounds like it was 6-8 years ago with what we are talking about when the threads were all about parity. After 2012 the directors took away track width from the 4th gens I think and they specifically threw a bone to the Fords reducing weight by 50 lbs. Of course they used data from you and Procter from one race as well. What has changed on your car since 2012? More power?, Stoptechs?, AST's? etc? Want to test drive my car for a day at Cresson before Nats?
    Nothing has changed since 2012. Still the same power / motor setup. I put the AST's on in 2009 and the Stoptechs on in 2010.

How about we swap cars for a couple sessions at NOLA?
    Last edited by michaelmosty; 06-30-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    6.29 Rear axles
    6.29.1 Any OEM stock differential housing that was originally offered in an eligible model car is allowed. Updating/Backdating of OEM stock differential housings is allowed.
    6.29.2 Both GM and Ford cars may also use a Ford 9”, GM 12 bolt, or Dana 44 rear axle housing, but the housing must maintain both the exact OEM suspension pickup points and OEM rear end geometry as the originally equipped axle assembly.
    6.29.3 Any gear ratio equal to or numerically lower than 4.11 that fits the stock/alternate differential case without modification may be used. Differentials may be fully locked (welded) or use any commercially available mechanical limited slip.
    6.29.4 Any commercially available replacement type steel or alloy steel axles may be used. Full floater axles are prohibited. Heavy-duty non-”C" Clip style axle ends are allowed and recommended. Competitors should carefully select axle ends. Many of the "C" clip eliminator axle ends are designed for street or drag strip use only and cannot withstand the side loads associated with road racing.
    6.29.5 Differentials or differential covers may have a drain plug added.

Can some one explain to my why a aluminum diff. cover in against the rules??
    Last edited by Storm Trooper; 07-01-2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Rules

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    Can some one explain to my why a aluminum diff. cover in against the rules??
    Standard answer. It's not needed. If was made legal, lots of people would think they needed one and lots of money would be wasted. The coolest thing about an aluminum cover is the availability of a drain. As a compromise, they allowed a drain be added to the stock cover.

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Standard answer. It's not needed. If was made legal, lots of people would think they needed one and lots of money would be wasted. The coolest thing about an aluminum cover is the availability of a drain. As a compromise, they allowed a drain be added to the stock cover.

Richard P.
    (The coolest thing about an aluminum cover is the availability of a drain.) not to mention increasing the capacity of the oil, cooling the oil, supporting the bearing caps.

Big brakes were not needed, 260 hp was not needed! But people wanted them so.....the rules are telling us where not to waste our money?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    not to mention increasing the capacity of the oil, cooling the oil, supporting the bearing caps.
    Again, all that crap is overkill and a waste of money (on a 230 hp car with shit tires). At the current state of things, does this need to be revisited? Probably.

Big brakes were not needed, 260 hp was not needed! But people wanted them so.....the rules are telling us where not to waste our money?

NASA, not the CMC management, mandated the S197 Mustang and the LS Camaro. Neither one of them could realistically get to the 230 hp number. Once you've gone there, along with wider and stickier rubber, big brakes actually save money over the old crap that had to be replaced often if you do enough events. Do I like where the whole thing has gotten to? No, and I don't believe many people do. If crap tires were mandated way back when, we wouldn't have needed big brakes and we wouldn't be hurting transmissions, rear ends, etc. at the rate that we are. We are literally tearing the tubs apart on these ancient cars. And we are spending a lot of money doing it. The whole thing doesn't make much sense...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    No offense to Marshall but it is the reason he was running slower in his car at the end of his racing career vs 5 years prior. He was spending so much mental energy focusing on a car that had constant problems, that the driving performance suffered.
    No offense taken, but it is 100% accurate.. I had no clue if the next shift would break a transmission, diff, shell a lifter, break a crank, or some other ungodly evil that would put my car on the side of the track...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    No offense taken, but it is 100% accurate.. I had no clue if the next shift would break a transmission, diff, shell a lifter, break a crank, or some other ungodly evil that would put my car on the side of the track...
    I completely understand this sentiment. It's one of the biggest things mentally I've had to get over transitioning to this series. In my endurance days it was all about finishing the stint to hand the car back off to the next guy to stay in the race... No risks, no dumb decisions, no risky moves.

One of the best things I've done to my car is not put another $4k machine shop built engine back in it. Mentally it's been great knowing that if I pop the explorer engine I'm out way less money. So I'll hit the limiter occasionally trying to make a pass, etc. Never did that on the old one and it blew up fantastically for my trouble... currently considering picking another one up from the junkyard and having it ready to go in the trailer....
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    In 2015 my car dynoed 70hp low. Turns out I'd lost a rod bearing the last race of the year prior. I forgot how weird the car had felt the last lap or 2 and how I'd just cruised there because we were really spread out by that point. I grabbed a crank off of CL and had it polished, pistons and rods used off of Fleabay, new bearings and gaskets, honed in my garage, all in for about $800. That motor is still in and healthy, has been good and made good numbers. It's getting replaced by an LS. While the rest of the crap is an asspain to hunt down cheap, the motor itself was $220 from the pull and pay for an aluminum LM4. Gotta find another for a spare. 170k and I'm not doing anything to the bottom end. Got a late LS1 cam for free fiddy to pop in there and that's it. I don't believe in machine shop engines for these cars when stock seems to last just fine.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Leave the ls1 cam alone.

An lm4/lm7 as is with some work on intake exhaust restriction is all you need.

If you throw the ls cam in there you may have trouble getting the torque you need after choking the power down to get under the HP limit.