Thread: Diff Cover Drain

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    I lube the shit out of mine before sticking it in.... I just tug on it to get it out.
    Sounds like a MAJOR personal issue, especially considering the time of the post. Wrong website and forum??
    LOL
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    We're talking about sliding our torque arms in/out smoothly and making sure we avoid our rear ends from bouncing while doing it. Not sure what you're referring to?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    We're talking about sliding our torque arms in/out smoothly and making sure we avoid our rear ends from bouncing while doing it. Not sure what you're referring to?
    I mean sometimes it is a torque arm. Just depends on the position of the rear end...

The OE rubber bushings are preferable than the urethane IMHO. The urethane just adds friction fore/aft and bind bump/droop. Neither is good.
    Al Fernandez

Not making eye contact.............or sounding off too loudly
    But, bumps also tear up rear ends. Freeze thaw cycles north of the mason dixon cause ripples in tracks.
    So, in this case...."bouncing rear ends", is not good.
    Its is widely accepted that the 8.8 holds up to abuse better then the 10 bolt.

Adding to the discussion regarding an aftermarket diff cover, I tried unsuccessfully to get an RCR up for review twice. Second time I provided not only justification, but also evidence that they should be legal based on the fact they were an option on SLP cars. If all the other SLP factory options are legal, why not the diff cover?

I have a hard time rationalizing the arguments I've read against the covers. They are a durability mod, not a performance mod. No one is going to feel they "have" to buy one just because someone else has one. No one is going to feel they lost a race because their competitor crossed the finish line ahead of them due to the overwhelming performance advantage of their aftermarket diff cover.

This is the most ridiculous rule we have in CMC. As pointed out, aftermarket rear axles costing thousands of dollars are ok but a $150 cover is not. Regardless of the original intent of the rule (AS homogenization) the fact is the rule still stands and makes no sense.

Those who feel it is a waste of money don't have to do the mod. Allow those of us who feel there is a benefit the opportunity. I challenge anyone to say with a straight face that a $150 durability mod is going to push this class into spending whirlwind.

Bottom line though, as I brought up in my second RCR, why isn't a mod that was an option on the factory order form for SS Camaros not legal?
    John
    MW Region CMC #45

Quote Originally Posted by JJKJ View Post
    Bottom line though, as I brought up in my second RCR, why isn't a mod that was an option on the factory order form for SS Camaros not legal?
    I erased my smart a$$ answer, that I initially typed. It was difficult for me to do, but I'm turning over a new leaf.