Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Diff Cover Drain

I'm pretty confident the reason for Gm having worse rear end reliability than the Fords is all due to axle hop and no diff cover is going to fix that. I've never blown a rear end, and only rebuilt mine recently because the 13 or so yr old T2R was feeling like it wasn't working well any more.
    Al Fernandez

a little late to the party on this one.... but what an entertaining read. A bit off the wall at points but good entertainment value! Ya mine was in the early days before I did any sort of mechanical prep to the car and was running HPDE. Do much more these days but Hallett will show that my experience is about the same. Looking forward to getting that part of my racing career behind me. Well to the extent that is reasonable.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    I'm pretty confident the reason for Gm having worse rear end reliability than the Fords is all due to axle hop and no diff cover is going to fix that. I've never blown a rear end, and only rebuilt mine recently because the 13 or so yr old T2R was feeling like it wasn't working well any more.
    So what can we do about eliminating axle hop?

If there's one major platform disparity, it's that fact that F-bodies have to drive and brake bias around rear axle hop while the ford guys can actually use their rear brakes and go fully aggressive with brake compound.

If I understand correctly it can be as simple as converting the nose end of the torque arm to be a sliding type instead if a fixed bushing with no other geometry changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post

If there's one major platform disparity, it's that fact that F-bodies have to drive and brake bias around rear axle hop while the ford guys can actually use their rear brakes and go fully aggressive with brake compound.

If I understand correctly it can be as simple as converting the nose end of the torque arm to be a sliding type instead if a fixed bushing with no other geometry changes.
    As an alternative, we could allow torque arms on mustangs to induce wheel hop.
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMC Rules
    6.33.7 Suspension bushing material is unrestricted.
    Does this include the torque arm bushing?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post

Apparently one of the best fixes for axle hop is a stiffer, aftermarket torque arm that doesn't attach to the transmission. Other than that, you are playing with spring/damping/tire pressures to make the car less likely to hop. When that inevitably doesn't work, you crank the rear bias to almost turn the rear brakes off...

Richard P.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Apparently one of the best fixes for axle hop is a stiffer, aftermarket torque arm that doesn't attach to the transmission. Other than that, you are playing with spring/damping/tire pressures to make the car less likely to hop. When that inevitably doesn't work, you crank the rear bias to almost turn the rear brakes off...

Richard P.
    Fixed that for you. I know the the Mustangs have a shitty rear suspension, but are at least able to run ideal rear brake compounds and spring rates. We, not so much...
    Last edited by Pranav; 07-05-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Gary's street 3rd gen has a nice sliding type bushing that uses an otherwise stock torque arm setup, will see if he can send pics.

It involved modifying a stock torque arm.

Blog Entries
    As my own data point, I've tried two seperate times to run XP8 carbotechs in the rear (XP10 in the front).

Each time I've had to pull them and go back to parts store ceramics to cut the bite out of the rear, so I can actually go deep into my brakes without upsetting the rear. Using a brake bias adjuster creates more problems in that the ability to modulate and control pressure spikes to the front brakes is further reduced (more likely to lockup).

We're all driving around a glaring issue and it would be nice, as a group, to be able to engineer a cheap, effective solution that doesn't give us a huge advantage like a decoupled torque arm or any other major geometry changes.

I'll see if I can get a picture of this front bushing thing. It looked neat/simple.
    Last edited by Pranav; 07-05-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here's a setup I'm willing to test.

Replace the torque arm with a tubular unit and heim joint front.

No changes in geometry and I'm replacing a stock piece with a heavier one.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/041...nsion-upgrades