Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Diff Cover Drain

Adding to the discussion regarding an aftermarket diff cover, I tried unsuccessfully to get an RCR up for review twice. Second time I provided not only justification, but also evidence that they should be legal based on the fact they were an option on SLP cars. If all the other SLP factory options are legal, why not the diff cover?

I have a hard time rationalizing the arguments I've read against the covers. They are a durability mod, not a performance mod. No one is going to feel they "have" to buy one just because someone else has one. No one is going to feel they lost a race because their competitor crossed the finish line ahead of them due to the overwhelming performance advantage of their aftermarket diff cover.

This is the most ridiculous rule we have in CMC. As pointed out, aftermarket rear axles costing thousands of dollars are ok but a $150 cover is not. Regardless of the original intent of the rule (AS homogenization) the fact is the rule still stands and makes no sense.

Those who feel it is a waste of money don't have to do the mod. Allow those of us who feel there is a benefit the opportunity. I challenge anyone to say with a straight face that a $150 durability mod is going to push this class into spending whirlwind.

Bottom line though, as I brought up in my second RCR, why isn't a mod that was an option on the factory order form for SS Camaros not legal?
    John
    MW Region CMC #45

Quote Originally Posted by JJKJ View Post
    Bottom line though, as I brought up in my second RCR, why isn't a mod that was an option on the factory order form for SS Camaros not legal?
    I erased my smart a$$ answer, that I initially typed. It was difficult for me to do, but I'm turning over a new leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by DAlgozine View Post
    I erased my smart a$$ answer, that I initially typed. It was difficult for me to do, but I'm turning over a new leaf.
    How will I even know you?
    John
    MW Region CMC #45

As one of the original rabble-rousers who brought up the topic of differential covers, I clearly still remember the exchanges on the national CMC forum when it was still an active place to hang out.

I never proposed any of the preload type aluminum diff covers, as I think those could be portrayed as having a potential performance advantage. Instead, my recommendation was a modified junkyard Explorer differential cover for the Ford 8.8 that would have added both a drain and a fill plug to the cover that had magnets on both of them, and included cooling fins and ribs for strength and lower temps to increase component longevity and make fluid changes easier. I wasn't suggesting one of those "expensive" GT500 kind of finned covers either. Check out the following link to learn all about modifying this cheap OEM Ford cover. https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ny-8-8.653880/

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MHISSTC View Post
    As one of the original rabble-rousers who brought up the topic of differential covers, I clearly still remember the exchanges on the national CMC forum when it was still an active place to hang out.

I never proposed any of the preload type aluminum diff covers, as I think those could be portrayed as having a potential performance advantage. Instead, my recommendation was a modified junkyard Explorer differential cover for the Ford 8.8 that would have added both a drain and a fill plug to the cover that had magnets on both of them, and included cooling fins and ribs for strength and lower temps to increase component longevity and make fluid changes easier. I wasn't suggesting one of those "expensive" GT500 kind of finned covers either. Check out the following link to learn all about modifying this cheap OEM Ford cover. https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ny-8-8.653880/
    So you recommend a cover that has ribs for strength, cooling fins for lower temps but are you against one that has preload which potentially strengthens the weak GM rearend?

The aftermarket cover for the GM isn't a performance advantage-unless you count potentially being more durable as an advantage. If you want to say it is a cooling advantage then whats the big deal since we allow radiators, coolers everywhere else.

JJKJ-send it it for another try. But not everything on an SS or SLP car is legal in CMC anyway.

It doesn't make sense.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Haha, I miss those crazy discussions!!!

Everything seemed about as even as could be at Hallett between Ford and GM from my perspective.
    I know some seem to think Bryan is the only one who can hustle a 4th gen, but he's not completely ruling the roost back here. I'm not seeing any disparity in the platforms based on my observations in RM, TX, and Nats. I am faster than I drove at Hallett this year. My weaknesses are launching, learning a new track quickly, and managing traffic to the extent that Michael and Bryan do. The latter 2 hurt me at Hallett and, quite frankly, getting all the way to my 10/10ths really takes a lot. I have to be pretty relaxed to get that last little bit on some tracks and that isn't exactly easy when there's 20 cars breathing down your ass (or 1 Mosty). I think some people believe they are at the limit and they're not realizing what's still on the table. I haven't touched my setup in years, I just drive. If it feels pushy, I change my driving and if it feels loose, again, I change my driving. Next event car usually feels fine. Typically when my car is off, so is everyone else's so it's relative.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    So you recommend a cover that has ribs for strength, cooling fins for lower temps but are you against one that has preload which potentially strengthens the weak GM rearend?

The aftermarket cover for the GM isn't a performance advantage-unless you count potentially being more durable as an advantage. If you want to say it is a cooling advantage then whats the big deal since we allow radiators, coolers everywhere else.
    Maybe I worded my post poorly.

I am in not against alternate diff covers for GM axles, or any platform for that matter, because I don't think durability is a performance advantage that can be measured in faster lap times. I think we should let diff covers be wide open. It also doesn't make sense to me that we can't do covers, but we can camber an axle which CAN lower lap times, but also introduces potential reliability issues by introducing a slight angle at the splines that increase wear. I would also venture to guess cambering a solid axle isn't something that should be attempted by your average CMC driver and that only those who are hiring expensive race shops to prep their cars are doing it. How much does it cost to have a shop camber a solid axle? Maybe we can get rid of that one along with the long overdue removal of the Ford 9" allowance?

What about being able to do C-clip eliminators? All the information and discussions I've seen say even though we CAN do that, we don't need to because all but one company builds them for drag racing and not road racing and that they really aren't needed anyway and are a waste of money. Can we get rid of this one along with the Ford 9" too?

Anyway, what I was trying to point out was that my recommendation to a rule change way back when didn't include diff covers with the preload feature that is commonly perceived as a potential performance advantage, even if it offers no such benefit in reality... ...and that got shot down back then. Has reliable information been shared widely enough to have changed perceptions since then?

Earlier in this topic the subject of wheel hop in the GM being the main culprit of reduced axle reliability was brought up. Will a different diff cover successfully combat this? I see there was a rule change request made to allow the Ford 8.8 in the GM chassis to supposedly bring about increased reliability to the GMs. Is the Ford 8.8 rear really that much better? If a different diff cover will do the job of making the rear end more reliable for the GM drivers, wouldn't that be a more cost effective solution to increase reliability than to allow a modified Ford axle in a GM? I'm thinking out loud here because I don't know.

Senior Member Rookie
    Does this mean aftermarket diff covers?

6.29.4 Differentials or differential covers may have a drain plug added. "Differential covers may be
    substituted".

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Yes, they're open now.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Yes, they're open now.
    So the rules are out. Guess I missed that. Where are the cliffs notes for changes.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24