Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission failures!

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Transmission failures!

I am throwing this out there to see how everyone feels. Possibly a rule change?
    The cost of transmissions, and repairing them has become very high.
    After looking into manual transmission failures, the main contributing factor is HEAT! @ +250° The oil started to break down. The aluminum case growth is faster then the counter and main shaft. Which puts a tremendous load on the gears and synchronizer.

So I am proposing adding an external oil cooler to ours transmissions. No transmissions modification, strictly bolt on.using existing holes in the transmissions.
    Something like this,

https://www.drift motion.com/Driftmotion-Manual-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Kit-p/dm3561.htm

So thoughts? Comments?

Sean

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Agree... why not? Not mandatory and useful for extending life of hard parts.

And I like being out of practice rebuilding T56s.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Sean I agree heat is the main issue. I installed a cooler for Hallet and was happy with result

I agree with it as well. I also lost a trans at Hallett near the end of the last race, heat related IMO. I'm going to try to heat shield the exhaust pipes passing near the transmission at the very least.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Sean are you running the T 5 or T 56? Good luck getting that to pass when they won't allow you to run an aftermarket aluminum diff cover on a weak GM rearend but they will allow you to swap it out for a 9"?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Sean are you running the T 5 or T 56? Good luck getting that to pass when they won't allow you to run an aftermarket aluminum diff cover on a weak GM rearend but they will allow you to swap it out for a 9"?
    Tyler made the T5 go BOOM! Just ignore the fact I was driving and it was a 2-3 shift coming out of The Bitch a few weeks ago. I think it made 3 years-ish behind the LS motor...

T-56 going in for Nationals.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I'm impressed and surprised the T5 lasted that long. Seems most or all of the Fords have abandoned the T5.

Are you going to submit an RCR to allow that toyota transmission? Hah.

1 minute google search came up with a t56 kit. https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/...-pump-upgrade/
    Then here is how to do it. http://www.pozziracing.com/Bowler%20...il%20pump.html
    But Mark Stielow says it's needed above 450 hp.

Maybe allow it for the T5 if that will keep them together-is it legal to put the T5 in a fourth gen?

Personally for the T56 I don't think it's needed. What kind of fluid are you running and how often are you changing it? Have you had it analyzed? I don't think it should break down at 250 but I'm certainly not the one to know.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    What kind of fluid are you running and how often are you changing it? Have you had it analyzed? I don't think it should break down at 250 but I'm certainly not the one to know.
    Purple
    Change?
    Never analyzed - would be a good time with the car now a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Stielow
    Late model ZO6 Corvettes and Z/28 Camaros have internal oil pumps to provide external transmission cooling. On the Z/28 the cooled oil is also run through a heat exchanger in the differential cover, then back to the transmission. When asked about T56 cooling needs, Camaro great Mark Stielow indicated a track driven T56 starts needing transmission oil cooling from around 450rwhp & up. Those driving Road Course events with high horsepower engines should incorporate transmission cooling to extend the life of their transmissions.
    Late model, i.e. not the stuff we run. Apples to apples we should add a cooler.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I saw the T56 in my C5 Z06 get in the 270s on a track day so at a race like the Hallett final I wouldn't be surprised if it was north of there. I'd be willing to submit the RCR to add a cooler, but would need to figure out how to word it. Maybe jam it in here?

6.25.5 Oil and power steering coolers may be replaced or added. Coolers must be securely mounted forward of the firewall. All lines must be securely fastened and safely routed.
    I think the only way to sell it is to require it be forward of the firewall, othewise it could be perceived as performance enhancing ballast.

Are you guys blowing up TKOs too or has nobody tried them? I've been kicking around the idea of one as a max effort sort of thing. The cooler is much cheaper than a TKO though and if that's all it takes to allow a lesser transmission to survive then I believe it is well in line with the intent of the series.
    Last edited by Supercharged111; 06-28-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I think the only way to sell it is to require it be forward of the firewall, othewise it could be perceived as performance enhancing ballast.
    So? Cool suits are optional and there's plenty of flexibility on where to mount the cooler. Limit the trans cooler size then.

With easy ability to corner weight we keep going in circles on ballast. 1/4" plate battery box is a clear no to me. Mounting a transmission or diff cooler in the cabin using braided lines easy to get to yes.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!