Thread: Transmission failures!

Hybrid View

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Transmission failures!

I am throwing this out there to see how everyone feels. Possibly a rule change?
    The cost of transmissions, and repairing them has become very high.
    After looking into manual transmission failures, the main contributing factor is HEAT! @ +250° The oil started to break down. The aluminum case growth is faster then the counter and main shaft. Which puts a tremendous load on the gears and synchronizer.

So I am proposing adding an external oil cooler to ours transmissions. No transmissions modification, strictly bolt on.using existing holes in the transmissions.
    Something like this,

https://www.drift motion.com/Driftmotion-Manual-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Kit-p/dm3561.htm

So thoughts? Comments?

Sean

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Agree... why not? Not mandatory and useful for extending life of hard parts.

And I like being out of practice rebuilding T56s.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Sean I agree heat is the main issue. I installed a cooler for Hallet and was happy with result

I agree with it as well. I also lost a trans at Hallett near the end of the last race, heat related IMO. I'm going to try to heat shield the exhaust pipes passing near the transmission at the very least.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Sean are you running the T 5 or T 56? Good luck getting that to pass when they won't allow you to run an aftermarket aluminum diff cover on a weak GM rearend but they will allow you to swap it out for a 9"?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Sean are you running the T 5 or T 56? Good luck getting that to pass when they won't allow you to run an aftermarket aluminum diff cover on a weak GM rearend but they will allow you to swap it out for a 9"?
    Tyler made the T5 go BOOM! Just ignore the fact I was driving and it was a 2-3 shift coming out of The Bitch a few weeks ago. I think it made 3 years-ish behind the LS motor...

T-56 going in for Nationals.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!