Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transmission failures!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I would just add more verbage to the following to cover any ballast concerns and call it a day.

An aluminum trans cooler and some braided 6an line is not that much weight.

6.7 Ballast
    Up to 150lbs of ballast is allowed, but no farther rearward than the plane of the front of the main hoop
    of the roll cage. Each ballast piece may not be taller than three inches or stacked higher than three
    inches. Ballast must be securely fastened and approved by NASA tech/safety officials. Battery boxes,
    cool suit mounts, and other added components made excessively heavy may be determined by
    NASA tech or CMC Officials to serve as ballast and therefore not allowed farther rearward than the
    plane of the front of the main hoop.
    Now if someone decides to take an old radiator and mount it in the trunk then yeah...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Instead of limiting dimensions, I was thinking of limiting square inches of the cooler and then adding verbiage to include stuff like fans and mounts can't be made out of 3/8" thick steel. I'll just bounce it off the other directors and get their thoughts outside of the RCR realm.
    RM CMC Director

Blog Entries
    How heavy is the fluid pump going to be? Just kidding. I always think of the request by a savvy racer to add bilge blowers to cool down the brakes which wasn't allowed but now we have stoptechs. Though my car has a bilge blower for the front windshield as a defroster which might be illegal.

Make sure and get the diff cooler added as well so I can do that instead of a cover (sorry I just can't resist)

I run Motul in the trans and change it once a year. I looked it up and the flashpoint is 398 I think for whatever that is worth. Have never had any fluid analyzed other than engine oil and have no clue if it would help. Check with Craig and his gearbox business.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    6.27.2 Transmission internals may be modified or substituted to aid in reliability, but the transmission must remain synchromesh with helical cut gears. Dog ring and straight cut gears designed to enable clutch-less shifting are not allowed.

A transmission oil cooler will aid in reliability!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I wonder if you could rationalize the "fill/drain plugs being substituted for a cooler system that aids in reliability"... as fitting the rules.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Maybe the right first step is to get temp indicators on multiple cars for national and see what the data shows.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Maybe the right first step is to get temp indicators on multiple cars for national and see what the data shows.
    Where would you draw the line for trans temps Al?
    RM CMC Director

As far as I am concerned transmission oil coolers are legal because of 6.25.5, I would’ve put one on my car without hesitation And mounted the cooler forward of the firewall.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

While were on the topics of RCRs...thoughts on hood vents to evac some heat?

6.25 pertains to engine cooling, so 6.25.5 does not apply. Transmission modification allowances are covered in 6.27
    Al Fernandez