Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
The real genesis of the rule change was due to an Enkei RPF1 with a steel spacer that was attached to the wheel with screws (drilled the wheel and counterbore in the spacer) then plug welded so the attachment screws can’t back out or the wheel separated from the spacer, making a pseudo custom wheel).
Adding holes to the center bore of the wheel scares me... and then plug welding them will locally destroy the wheel's temper.

That led to folks saying the heavier spacer “mass” was in the middle of the wheel, hence lowering the rotational inertia which created an advantage. That prompted the rule to be written around an aluminum wheel and aluminum spacer.
How does going to aluminum solve remove the inertial advantage? I'd rather go with a steel non-attached spacer. I can make your wheels (thanks for the deal btw) work with steel spacers.

So here's the question, if I show up to COTA with aluminum spacers not welded to my wheels will I be DQ'd? I wouldn't take the risk of showing up with a car that directly goes against the rule book, if we can get clarification ahead of time against welding wheels it'd be awesome.

- Josh