Thread: Reading up on the CCR's

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar

Reading up on the CCR's

While scanning through the CCR's in prep for Nationals I came across something I was not aware of.

17.8 - Minimum Weight
    "Each driver shall be given a standard 5 lb leeway under the minimum published weight for their car during the first time (voluntary or not) the car is weighted for that event."
    After the initial weighing, no tolerance given.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

I was thinking about that rule this past Saturday as I rolled onto the scales at 3099 pounds the first two times then my required 3100 pounds when I was weighed coming onto the scales the other direction. I couldn't remember how much wiggle room I had, I thought it was 10 pounds off the top of my head. I projected I'd roll on to the scales at 3106 pounds.

The CMC rules go back to 17.8

7.3 Minimum weight Minimum weight is as measured immediately after a race, including driver. There is zero tolerance on the weight measured by the scales except as noted in the CCR 17.8.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    That's why I made you weigh in both directions. You burned your 5# leeway after qual, so you had to make weight after that which you did by not taking a shit between qual and R1.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    That's why I made you weigh in both directions. You burned your 5# leeway after qual, so you had to make weight after that which you did by not taking a shit between qual and R1.
    lol...I think I took at least 3 shits between Qual and R1...likely a result of Friday night's fermented beverages and Speyside's finest blended

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    FWIW, I learn something new EVERY TIME I read the CCRs. For example - while inspecting cars @ COTA, I took notice of Mr Patterson's lack of rollbar padding on his FIA bar, and said he needed to fix that before Sunday's race. He said he has a hard time seeing with the padding in place, and races without the padding. I responded with, "if your hands, legs, head can contact a bar, you gotta have padding".

Well.....while standing there, I decided to double check the CCRs, just to make certain. NASA CCRs, , subsection section #15.6.4 says:

Quote Originally Posted by NASA v2018.6 CCRs, section 15.6.4
    All roll cage surfaces that may come in contact with the driver’s head, knees, and elbows must be padded with high-density padding such as Ethafoam or Ensolite or other material labeled “high density padding” and manufactured for road racing use.
    Surprisingly, it says NOTHING about hands. The 2006 version (the oldest version I still have a copy of) says,
    Quote Originally Posted by NASA 2006 CCRs, section 15.6.4
    All roll cage surfaces that may come in contact with the driver shall be padded with high-density padding such as Ethafoam or Ensolite. It is recommended that padding meeting SFI specification 45.1 be used.
    The same v2006 wording follows thru until 2017, when it changed to the version we now see in the 2018 CCRs.

After dealing with Covini for so many years, I've learned to constantly go back and check what's in black and white.

Michael - regarding your info about the 5lb leeway.....we used this CCR section for a driver that ended up being EXACTLY 5lbs light after the Friday morning qual session, and hadn't yet been officially weighed. It gave that driver the benefit of the doubt, no DQ, all within the rules.

Knowing the CCRs is valuable for EVERY driver.