Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Interesting Ram Air

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Bryan in case I was unclear, having reread the rules it seems they are written in a way that would allow an LS style airbox to be run with an LT1.

6.21.5 Any air filter or air filter assembly may be fitted and OE assemblies may be modified. Air boxes and filters must reside inside the engine compartment or in the OEM stock location. Air filter installations intentionally designed to create, or that appear to create a ram air effect are not allowed, even if they were OEM stock.
    I was hung up on OEM stock location, but inside the engine bay is another option.

Al, for those assemblies that appear to create a ram air effect, I think the rules ought to give the driver an opportunity to defend their creation. I like your idea of cross sectional area. I think we could say that, for those assemblies that appear to give a ram air effect, the driver can defend himself with data. It would read something like:

Air filter installations intentionally designed to create, or that appear to create a ram air effect are not allowed, even if they were OEM stock. Manifold air pressure with the intake fitted at speed may not exceed that of an open throttle body. It is the driver's responsibility to provide data upon request to defend a questionable intake. If a driver lacks the means to provide data upon request then the intake must be modified to eliminate the appearance of any ram air effects. All intake modifications must be listed under item 7 of the dyno test data and vehicle specification sheet.
    Last edited by Supercharged111; 09-22-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    RM CMC Director

The rules already provide a driver ample opportunity... CMC rules clearly state the competitor has the burden of proof, see CMC 7.7. Furthermore, the CCR allows any competitor to appeal any decision of any NASA official, see CCR 17.5
    Al Fernandez