Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
LEGAL! You can move the air filter wherever you want as long as it still resides in the engine compartment or in a factory location. And you can do whatever you want with the filter setup like removing headlight covers, drilling holes everywhere as long as it doesn't create a ram air. Can't really argue it wouldn't be legal for an LT1 since it's a factory setup for the LS1 and you are allowed to update/backdate within 93-02.

*I hate the allowed chopping/cutting/drilling/removal of headlight covers to allow a straight shot of air hitting the filter that
I'm hung up on the definition of in the engine bay, since the LS1 box draws from in front of the core support. Why are you against chopping stuff to slam an air filter with cold air? You need a sealed enclosure that far exceeds what GM offered to provide a ram air effect that exceeds atmospheric. At best, most ram air setups merely stave off the pressure drop a little longer, but even that becomes difficult to differentiate between a free flowing cold air setup. I feel our rules fall short in that respect. We really should objectively define criteria for determining what does and does not make a ram air setup instead of letting our subjective eyeballs decide that something appears to be a ram air setup.